1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Data Link Connector dead?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Wildcat3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Data Link Connector dead?

I recently bought a '97 Avenger ES for my son as his first car. It has a few issues so I'll try to only post issues that I haven't been able to find an answer on this forum. It's a pet peeve of mine when newbies post questions without searching for the answer first, when it's been addressed previously 9,000 times.

The engine was recently rebuilt and the CEL light was on when I purchased it. I have an OBD II reader, plugged it into the Data Link....nothing.

Just to make sure my reader wasn't bad, I plugged it into my other vehicle and verified it is working.

I have the fuse diagram from the Haynes manual but didn't see anything for the Data Link Connector. I did the 'key dance' method and got the following:

1 - 2 - 3 - 1 - 5 - 5, which I assume is codes 12 and 31. And 12 indicated no power to the PCM I believe or battery completely disconnected within the last 50 starts (I'm hoping that's all it is.) But I'd still like to have a functioning Data Link Connector since I'm planning to reprogram a wireless key fob soon.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 01-16-2012, 12:32 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the fuses it's piggybacked on another fuse , I have it written down on my shop manual I'll see tonight after work

Old 01-16-2012, 04:53 PM
Wildcat3

Thanks, I appreciate that!

Old 01-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Wildcat3

Did you run across it by chance?

Old 01-18-2012, 05:00 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I lent out the electrical manual to another guy (I wrote it in there) Should be in the electrical schematics

Old 03-17-2012, 11:07 PM
fixitfirstime

This car has two diag connectors. The obd II one for communications and the Mitsubishi one next to it that has the power in it. At least when you hook up the factory scan tool that is the way it works. There is a "y" cable that hooks to both and carries power and communication.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:47 AM
xILLICITx

I am having the same prob with my 98 es but I only see the datalink connector I don't see the other one.

Quick Reply: Data Link Connector dead?