1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Clunking when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 07:19 AM
Partsman41953
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking when accelerating

Hi all,

I have a 1997 Avenger ES 2.5 with around 145,000 easy miles on it. I do not drive the car hard, never have, and do most of the maintenance on the car myself. I have been having a problem which I just cannot figure out. When accelerating from a stop or even a rolling stop if I accelerate too hard I will get a clunk or thumb which to me sounds like the transmission kicking into gear. It has been doing this for a while. I thought it might be a mount and did replace the one on the driver's side which was bad. The other mounts are fine. I just had the car at the Dodge dealer and they replaced the 2 control arms under the recall. Last year I did a transmission oil change and did see some metal filings in the pan. What possibly do you think may be causing this noise which makes the car sort of bang when accelerating. If you accelerate very easy and sort of feather the gas when starting to go it will not do it as bad.

Thanks for any help.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:39 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it feel like it's coming from the floorboard ? the one arm is covered under the recall the other is not , I had similar and found the other arm bad even though it was just at dodge for recall , they never even mentioned/checked it

Quick Reply: Clunking when accelerating