1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

CV axle replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 11:36 AM
Partsman41953
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV axle replacement

Hi all,

I finally figured out that the clunking that I was experiencing on my 1997 Avenger ES was a bad CV axle. I saw that the boot is ripped on the driver's side and since the car is so old I am going to replace both axles. I would like to know how difficult of a job it is to replace the axles. I was looking at some videos and it was suggested that I would need an impact gun to remove the axle nut, which I do not have. I was quoted $100 per side to replace the axles but I am not sure if that is a good price or not.

Anyhow, if anyone has any experience replacing the axles, please let me know.

Thanks,

Old 10-27-2015, 12:52 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Pretty straight forward. There are probably videos on you tube showing how it is done, but it's basically the same on all FWD cars and trucks with CV axles. Remove the wheel, remove the hub, remove the axle, replace is reverse if removal. Basic hand tools are all that is required. Usually the hardest part is breaking the axle nut loose. But with the proper size socket and a long breaker bar, it can be done. Hit it with penetrating fluid every couple days for a few days and let it soak in.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:52 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The drivers axle is easy , you'll have some tranny fluid to replace , the passenger is more involved as it's transverse with a bearing
$100 is more then fair for both , It took me more then three hours to replace the drivers side

Quick Reply: CV axle replacement