1995-2000 Dodge Avenger The Dodge Avenger had smooth styling in addition to solid craftmanship. To this day you can find Dodge Avenger enthusiasts proud to show of their gems.

Good News to even Worse News SC97

Old 01-17-2007, 12:37 AM
2000BlackVengerES
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good News to even Worse News SC97

Turns out my problems were all being caused by corrosion. It's extremely confusing. Some wires were corroded just enough so that as the solenoids pumped it caused them to bow out and make the tranny go into limp mode. Before the plug type wire could be identified it would bend back into place acting normal.

It's weird. So it was replaced and i should get my car back tommorrow.
HOWEVER!
The corroding was caused by a battery explosion that occurred from a previous owner?!
Therefore my mechanic dug deeper into the car engine/tranny area only to find a ton of corrosion. The idiot before me never had it cleaned or serviced and no one knew of the corrotion.:S
Now, he told me to expect further problems in the future. WTF.

Should i sell? or is it possible to have the corrotion cleaned out and maybe some parts replaced?
ANY advice would be great.

Thanx

Old 01-18-2007, 09:26 PM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Default RE: Good News to even Worse News SC97

Really? Corrosion? Wow!
Well, depending on where the corrosion occurs, you can get a replacement engine harness which would be cheaper to install than buy another car...sometimes, lol. I would perhaps look around and shop for a garage that can swap the harness. It's not that tough to do, but at the same time it's a PITA because of the lack of armspace in the engine bay. There's really nothing to remove because the harness is located in a main area with branches of split loom that goes where it needs to.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:26 PM
2000BlackVengerES
Rookie

Do you have any idea how fast corrosion like this would take effect on the car? I mean if i dont have to **** around right away that'd be great. I want to fix it, but it's cold here obviously. I was hopeing maybe there'd be a way of just taking some stuff apart and scrubbin the crap off. I need to look at it further myself i think. Thanx for the info though. I dont want to sell, it would seem smart, but i just pumped 2 grand into the thing. Hopefully this site will help me learn more about my car and i can get the right place to work on the thing myself.

Thanx again

Old 01-24-2007, 08:47 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I don't know how fast electrical corrosion will take before a wire's resistance is high enough to affect its corresponding system. I'd just keep an eye on it and have it changed out as soon as you can. Mentally note how your car behaves though. Unless the bare wires touch each other, you should be ok, but ASAP is best

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good News to even Worse News SC97