1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Flame job

Old 04-09-2012, 11:43 PM
T.C.
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flame job

Hello guys might need some advice on a couple questions.

So I am planning onto fixing up my body and trying to decide on for paint. I thought it would be super retro and different to do a flame job on this truck, looking around where I live NO ONE has flames. So here's my question. I was debating doing the traditional flame job nothing fancy just black with normal fire looking flames, like the typical paint scheme you see on old roadsters in the 30's. Was planning on using primer black "flat black" for the base coat. You think that might work, or be to plain and or use traditional satin black instead?

Number 2 idea, my dad advise me on it since my truck is looking already like a retro rat rod, was to use the primer black "flat black" as a base, and do shadow flame job with the satin black. I have never seen anyone do it before and I don't know how it might turn out. Tacky????

So I leave it to you guys to help my decision, Either traditional flame job like old roadsters, with flat black paint or satin???

OR

A flat black truck with a shadow flame job using satin black paint?

Old 04-10-2012, 02:02 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe shadow flames, Or no flames at all just a good gloss black.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:34 AM
Motorcharge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rule of thumb: Unless it's an old rat rod it doesn't need flames.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:52 PM
Rabid21
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To put my 2 cents against Motorcharge here.

Flames look good on anything that has either Power, or Speed.
Anything that doesn't...Well they just seem silly to me :P

Old 04-11-2012, 11:32 PM
T.C.
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you rabid, and my dad kinda thinks its like an old rat rod, except proper age/ etc... And I actually though of taking of the cab to do a rat rod theme truck, but tell you the truth I kinda like our body style especially ext cab since you got room for you and your friends. But getting on topic, I have been doing my research and I kinda like the satin flames on the flat black, even if its a lot of work to maintain flat black. I will post up pics soon, I lost my photobucket account and have to make a new one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flame job