1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

transmission shifts late after driving on highway

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 10:58 PM
jobblydakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission shifts late after driving on highway

Hello, I have 1996 Dodge Dakota V6 4x2 club cab. I've owned it since it was new. It has 118K miles on it. I had the transmission rebuilt in 2008 at abound 90k. Now I'm having another transmission problem.

When I start off and just drive in the city at slow speeds the transmission shifts smooth and at the correct speed/RPMs. However if I then drive on the highway, 60-70mph, and then exit back to city driving, the transmission then shifts late and at high RPMs. This will continue until I turn the truck off. As soon as I start out again, at city driving/slow speeds, the truck shifts correctly. Now when I exit the freeway and am at the stop light I turn the truck off, restart, and the truck shifts correctly. If I don't it will shift late at high RPMs.

Recent work includes a new battery June 2014 and I just replaced the transmission output speed sensor last weekend. Didn't help. Any ideas?

Thank you for reading and your time. Any and all replies are appreciated.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:05 PM
OMGnanerpus
Rookie

Is that the only thing that acts up? Revs the same, just shifts later?

Old 09-03-2014, 10:32 PM
jobblydakota

Thank you for the reply. After I exit the highway I usually come to a stop at the light. When I accelerate from the green light the truck won't shift gears until about 3000-3200 RPMs.

When I just do city driving or before I get on the highway the truck shifts normally, at about 1600-1800 RPMs.

Quick Reply: transmission shifts late after driving on highway