1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

360 head questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 02:07 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Toby, everything I have read says the RT engine is the exact same as the Ram, Durango, or Dakota engine. The 5hp difference was in exhaust and maybe programming.
There is quite a bit about this debate over on a site that deals with magnums being put in older dodge cars. Not sure if its allowed or right to post exact site, so if you want to know, pm me and i'll send it to you.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:12 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Toby, everything I have read says the RT engine is the exact same as the Ram, Durango, or Dakota engine. The 5hp difference was in exhaust and maybe programming.
There is quite a bit about this debate over on a site that deals with magnums being put in older dodge cars. Not sure if its allowed or right to post exact site, so if you want to know, pm me and i'll send it to you.
Not saying you're right or wrong, just everything I've read has said the rt heads on the Dakota are every so slightly better. But you may be right as well.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:44 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

everything I have read says the RT engine is the exact same as the Ram, Durango, or Dakota engine.
I agree! There was a difference in the HP ratings on my Indy ram and it has the same heads as everything else. Get the casting # off the head and it will tell you everything you want to know. With the history of the stock heads and cracking why would you use them anyway when there are much better options available. Cant go wrong with the EQ heads.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:48 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

the "RT heads" were not put on these trucks from the factory, they were sold by Mopar Performance after the fact. "Dakota RT's" came with the same exact heads as any other 360 down the assembly line.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:34 PM
dusterdude
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eq heads????

Originally Posted by Moparite
I agree! There was a difference in the HP ratings on my Indy ram and it has the same heads as everything else. Get the casting # off the head and it will tell you everything you want to know. With the history of the stock heads and cracking why would you use them anyway when there are much better options available. Cant go wrong with the EQ heads.
help me out with these please.thanks

Old 08-09-2016, 06:33 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts
Old 08-09-2016, 07:33 PM
dusterdude
Amateur

Thanks dude

Old 01-09-2017, 01:43 PM
T.C.
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello All,

Sorry for not responding back to my original post, it has been quite hectic with university, working, and budgeting the parts for the builds.

Luckily for you all, myself especially I have finally purchased all the parts for the engine rebuild. I have chosen the EQ heads from jpegs. The EQ heads are adapted to run with the original magnum series intake manifold as well as the old school LA intake manifold.

After much debate the reasoning I chose the EQ heads are as follow:

Designed to run either magnum series intake manifold or la series intake manifold. This will allow the use of a better selection of intake manifolds from the old LA series, by which in my personal view is better than any magnum series intake manifold. that was produced.

The reasoning I still went for the magnum series style is because I want to keep the mpfi versus carb or tbi, and I managed to find a decent mpfi intake manifold for sale.

Cost: Compared to the more regarded aluminium heads which has the higher valve lift, lighter weight, larger valves diameter, I couldn't justify the extra 1000 bucks cost versus the EQ heads. "BTW that's a 1000 bucks more per single head".

EQ performance: While the EQ heads are set up to be a direct replacement for the factory heads, they are not. The have been designed to all for a better flow rate than factory heads, that's including the rt heads.

While I reduced the cost of my head purchase I was able to increase the amount to spend for other purchases such as my cam, performance intake manifold, headers, timing chain, gaskets, lifters and etc.

Like I have promised you all on pictures of the build, I will be posting them up shortly probable on a different thread to detail my first build and for you all to post your comments and questions to it. So keep a look out for that and I look forward to seeing you all comment on my first build.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:15 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

TC look forward to your updates!!

I do have a few questions though

1. My understanding of the EQ heads is, they can be ordered for a magnum intake or a LA intake bolt pattern. But they are different part numbers. So you have to decide what style intake you intend to use to order the heads. Is this your understanding as well?

2. What cam do you plan to use?

3. Will you have to change valve springs? If not, what is jegs telling you the lift limit is on the heads?

The reason I suggested the magnummopar guy is, he charges $150.00 more, but that included springs good to .575 lift and it included a upgrade to stainless valves.
FWIW I thought the EQ springs were only good to a .470-.480 lift. But I could be wrong.

Again, look forward to your updates.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:53 AM
mr5racing
Amateur

We've tested Indy heads against the R/T. The R/T heads are every bit as good if not better. the R/T heads #7140 with 1.92/1.60 with the right manifold. i have a set brand new i cant even list with my post count below 25 so im trying to talk it up. i also have an M1 dual plane intake P5007381 all brand new matched set we were gonna use for circle track asphalt modified til rules changed.

http://img141.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_418lo.jpg

http://img159.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_210lo.jpg

Last edited by mr5racing; 03-16-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Quick Reply: 360 head questions