1st Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 1st gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Got a new 1993 Dakota LE 4X4 5.2L, have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 03:45 PM
brianb83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a new 1993 Dakota LE 4X4 5.2L, have some questions

So I traded an '83 Nighthawk for this truck, and I have a few questions. I've never had a Dodge, only Fords and Chevy's, so here I go.

First, the bolt pattern is 6x4.5, correct?

Where can I download the service manual for this? I checked the FAQ but didn't see my year there.

Would a body lift kit be good for off-roading or should I just save my money and opt for a suspension lift?

I have more, but I can't think of them at the moment, I'll ask them in this thread again when they come to me.

Sorry if I asked asinine questions, or if the answers to these are in the FAQ, I checked but might've missed it. Thanks in advance!

Also, here is the truck! It has some issues but I'm very happy with it. It has different rims and different size tires all around sadly, but I'm working on fixing that now.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:50 AM
brianb83

Ah I remembered another question! My truck doesn't have the front driveshaft on, so what years share the same driveshaft?

Old 06-18-2016, 10:41 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6x4.5 is correct. The FSMs aren't generally available for download but you can usually buy an original on ebay. For shared part numbers use one of the many mopar dealer websitesm..they have the assemblies all detailed....drill down to the drive shaft and then click on it and it will give you a link to all the vehicles that shared that part.

Example http://www.moparone.com/p/Dodge__/DRIVE-SHAFT-PROPELLER-SHAFT/59895884/53005548.html

Last edited by robertmee; 06-18-2016 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:43 PM
brianb83

Originally Posted by robertmee
6x4.5 is correct. The FSMs aren't generally available for download but you can usually buy an original on ebay. For shared part numbers use one of the many mopar dealer websitesm..they have the assemblies all detailed....drill down to the drive shaft and then click on it and it will give you a link to all the vehicles that shared that part.

Example http://www.moparone.com/p/Dodge__/DR.../53005548.html
I apologize if I just don't know how to work the website well, but they have the driveshafts listed for 1996 through about 2007. Would any of these fit my '93? Aside from Dodges, is there any other brands that may share the same front driveshaft such as a Jeep Cherokee or something along those lines?

Old 07-20-2016, 12:35 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You've probably figured somehting out by now but if not, I would just buy a driveshaft off ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-89-90-91-...BXWvFT&vxp=mtr

For example. For that particular one you'd need a new u joint because the caps aren't on one side. Or find one at a yard. Don't know if another driveshaft would fit but I doubt it.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:57 AM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, since nobody answered the big question. Body lift is the only option for these trucks. 2" is perfect but do NOT go higher then 3". There was one company that made a true suspension lift for these - Trail master made a 4" lift and it ran about $2k. Other lift options are cranking torsion bars, torsion bar keys, the blocks or whatever you want for the rear. For about $250 you can add 4" give or take if you do the work.

Quick Reply: Got a new 1993 Dakota LE 4X4 5.2L, have some questions