1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

87 Dakota Electric Fans Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 08:43 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Default 87 Dakota Electric Fans Upgrade

Before I get started, I want to answer one question that usually pops up on this subject. And that is "why convert to electric fans?"
So I am going to start with why I have converted.
In short, I plan to put a carbed, 5.9 magnum engine in my truck.
With the 87-90 front end, there is no room for a mechanical fan, or electric fan in the engine bay.
So this leaves 2 options.
1. Use the front of a 91-96 truck... This is what Robertmee did. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...gine-swap.html
2. Put electric fans in front of the radiator. This is what Ragged89 did. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...le-dakota.html

For myself, I have 2 objectives I really want to hold on to. Keeping the 87 front end, and I want AC on the truck.
If you remember, Shelby offered a dakota, "89 I think" with a 318 along with AC.
The way he did it, was they had an adapter that mounted 2 -11" electric fans, sandwiched between the condenser and radiator. Here is a picture.

Now, this part is no longer available through Mopar, and as you can imagine, shelby dakota's are not in the junk yards!

Now, this "fan adapter?" is not something I could make.... But I figured that I could use universal fans, and make some mounts to fit them inside the core support.
So the following is what I have done.

I started with removing the grill and condenser.

In the following picture, you can see the width my truck has for the factory 22" radiator.

So I wanted to replace the factory 22" radiator with the 26" version. Below is a picture of the 2 radiators and the fans I am using.

Now, with the larger radiator, I needed to open up the core support for the additional width radiator. This was pretty simple. I just marked where I wanted to cut, and used a 4in cutting wheel to remove the metal.

Next, I set the fans in there, used cardboard to mark up some mounts, then transferred that to some scrap metal I had... Welded them in place.

Here is a picture of the fans installed. BTW these are Spal fans 30101505 Pusher Fans, rated at 1227 cfm each. Shelby used 2 11' fans, but these are 12's Its tight, but they fit.

And here is with the new condenser mounted. I had to shim it out about 3/8" to clear the fan motors.

As some of you know, there are 2 baffles, on each side of the radiator, inside the engine bay, to help force the air through the radiator, rather then around it. The passenger side is the same on both 22" and 26" radiators. However the drivers side is different. I was expecting to have to try and make something to fit... However, I was able to simply cut down the 22" baffle to fit the 26" radiator. Below are pictures....

I have made new AC lines, with additional pressure taps, to control the fans.... I will be posting pictures of that in the near future, along with the 92 relay box added, and other wiring needed.... Some of the wiring, I am still working out..

Old 09-06-2019, 08:09 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

OK, So on to the lines. Basically, this has been a learn as I go, or spend process.....
First, I want to say, there are basically 2 types of hoses. Standard Barrier, and Reduced Barrier.
My understanding is, they both perform the same, but reduced barrier is more flexible.
However, they use different ferrules... standard vs reduced.
They also use different dies for the crimper, which are pretty expensive...
On my truck it used #8 standard #12 standard and #6 reduced from the factory.
I went back with all standard barrier hose. It seems to have worked.
Below are pictures of what I have done.

This is the crimper.

and here it is in a vise.

here are the ferrules. I purchased an assortment kit, came with 4 of each. #6, #8, #10, #12. The picture only shows the #8, 10#, and #12. I used all of the #6

Here are a couple pictures of the hose I used, Again, #6, #8, #12 standard barrier hose.

I used a 3in air, exhaust pipe cutter to split the ferrules. Then twisted the pieces off. After removing the hose, I used a bench grinder to clean up where the ferrules were crimped to the fitting.

Here is a picture of one of the old lines

And here is a picture of it with new hose.. Also, note that I added 2, pressure switch taps to the line. I am using those to control the 2 fan relays I added. One, comes on at 223psi and turns off at 183. The other comes on at 240psi, and off at 200. I will go more into that when I get those pictures together with the wiring....

Old 09-06-2019, 05:49 PM
PBblaster83
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good!

Not to hijack anything but I was wondering if there was anywhere to find to out the CFM rating for stock fans, and amperage draw for that matter? I've heard of some Intrepid fans are used. Also, Volvo and Taurus fans in other applications. So what factors into what fan to choose?

Old 09-08-2019, 07:46 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by PBblaster83
Looks good!

Not to hijack anything but I was wondering if there was anywhere to find to out the CFM rating for stock fans, and amperage draw for that matter? I've heard of some Intrepid fans are used. Also, Volvo and Taurus fans in other applications. So what factors into what fan to choose?

Not at all!!
On a newer one like you have, (95?) You have more room, so any of the above can probably be upgraded. I had the intrepid fan and had planned to use it, but it was to big to sandwich between the radiator and condenser.... However , I do have some pictures of how it would mount in the engine compartment behind the radiator. I will show them at the bottom.
As far as cfm on factory fans, I have never seen anything verified. Like you, I have heard a lot about the volvo and especially the Taurus fans. FWIW, I believe that CFM is going to be basically based on amp draw.... The more amps, the more CFM....
If I had the room, a Taurus fan is the way I would go....

this is laying across a 26in radiator.

and this is in the engine bay on my 87. As you can see, it would have worked if I was not putting a V8 in there....

Any other questions I may be able to answer, please ask!!

Old 02-17-2024, 08:17 PM
87Dak-318-5spd
Default Any update on AC system?

In the process of starting the same thing you did with the electric fans and adding AC. Very interested in what you did with the wiring and pressure switches.

Old 02-18-2024, 04:54 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Im away right now....... give me a few days and I will get my notes and post it up for you.

Old 02-18-2024, 10:57 PM
87Dak-318-5spd

Thanks! That would be great!

Old 04-13-2024, 07:24 PM
87Dak-318-5spd
Default Radiator

Any problems with temperature with the factory 26" radiator? How did the AC turn out?

Quick Reply: 87 Dakota Electric Fans Upgrade