1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

92 Dakota misfire code 27

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 03:06 PM
joecornish
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 92 Dakota misfire code 27

Thanks, hemi. I found an O'Reilly about 45 min away, and they are the only place around that sells with a lifetime warranty. Everyone else is 90 days-1 year.

I have a decision to make: 1. Try the jumper, and if that doesn't work, replace the computer 2. Go ahead and replace the computer now.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll update when I make my decision and act on it.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:45 AM
joecornish

Well, got the new computer at O'Reilly last night, and it took two minutes to install. Problem solved!

Thanks, everybody.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:50 PM
hemispheres
Amateur

Great. This board has helped someone again.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:22 AM
indio17

it looks like you help one and other here. I like it!. I have a little problem to whit mine 92 dakota is a v6 3.9L and somedays the engine light comes on, and some others don't. last time it died on me, like if wuld have no gas; i tried to re-started but no look tillthe next day. Do's anyone can tell me somthig that culd help!?.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:32 AM
hemispheres
Amateur

Indio. If possible take the truck to a local parts store and have them pull the code from the computer. This will be a strarting point in your troubleshooting.
When youwrite that it will not start, are you implying the engine turns over but will not start or is the truck totally dead?

Old 01-06-2008, 11:59 PM
indio17

hemispheresi did take it to the auto parts store; but they told me they don't scan '95 models and older.And yes the truck turns over but will not start after itshut down; but it will start again after several hours. Itallredy havemany parts new like de distributoran and cap, sparrk plugs and wires, air sensors, fuel filter, and catalitic and cat back sistem. I realy need to know wath is going on!

Old 01-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

chec outhttps://dodgeforum.com/m_63384/tm.htm to pull codes without scanner then see what they say

Old 01-07-2008, 08:18 AM
hemispheres
Amateur

Indio. Not sure what part of the country you reside, but try another parts store. In the midwest, O'Reliey, Advanced, Napa, or AutoZone will provide you the tool with the correct connectors. My truck is also a 92 and all stores mentioned have the diagnostic connector.
The connector is located in theengine compartment, passenger side. The connector is shaped like a "L".
Not being a full time mechanic it is hard for me to offer more info. What I have read on this board and other boards, one possible problem. The pickup assembly, trigger unit in the distributor. It appears this part has failed for others who own a 92 with the 3.9.
Another area is the wire bundle under the windshield washer reservoir. Some ofthese splices are actually taped and may corrode.
You first need to determine if you are not getting spark or is it a fuel delivery problem.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:02 PM
indio17

hemispheres I live in georgetown tx 30 min from the capital of texas (austin) between Dallas and San Antonio, and i justcame from the auto parts again, i went to advance auto parts, auto zone, o'really, fox auto parts, and i end up on lamps; this lastones toll me that they doit but they charch $89to tel you. I did find the conector you toll me,and i mensionet tothe boys on the auto parts, but they toll me the same " we do'tscaneany car under'96models" mother...truckers!!!.but anyway i'm sure is not a fuel delivery problem because today i was driven the truck for 30 min, and some times the check engine light came on and some times it did not. (did i mension that it shot dawn 2 or 3 times went i was at the stop light??.
Crazy4x4RT i did chec out the page you suggest me but mine do not blink; stays on, and some times it do not comes out at all. I am going to have mine home mecanic to come over in the next 3 days till then i'll see what i can do.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:42 PM
hemispheres
Amateur

Indio. I can not believe the parts stores do not have the proper connectors for the 92 model year. I would open up the phone book and call other parts stores in different areas to determine if they can pull the code for you.
My check engine light "CEL" was also intermittant. I did discover if the light illuminates, which means a fault detected, the light would stay on untilI shutthe engine off. Upon a immediate restart the light would be out. I do not know if the computer memory was volatile. Anyway, if I was near a parts store and the light iluminated I would pull into the store parkinglot leaving the engine running, run in and borrow their scan tool and extract the code which was always code "27".
If worse comes to worse pay someone to extract the code, but leave the engine on if the light illuminates while you extract the code.
Again, mentioned on other websites, the hall effect pickup assembly inside the distributor have been known to beproblematic.
I replaced every ignition and emission component on my truck. The only item that was left was the computer which was defective. I bought my reman computerfrom O' Reiley for about $160.00 including tax. The unit also comes with a lifetime warranty. The remanfactuer of the computer is a company called CarDone.
My truck has approx. 230,000 miles and still runs like it is new.
Get the fault code and keep me posted. The computer is mounted on the right hand side inner fender. About a two minute swap.

Quick Reply: 92 Dakota misfire code 27