1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

No Start After Water Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 09:00 AM
rvpeddler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Start After Water Pump Replacement

1994 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab, 3.9 V6, 2 wd.

I just replaced the water pump, thermostat, and by-pass hose, refilled the radiator, and started it. It fired right up, ran for about 3 minutes, then.........died. Now it will turn over, but NOT start.

I know this is a shot in the dark, but any ideas??????

Thanks
Ron

Old 11-28-2008, 12:05 PM
rvpeddler
Default Pulled Codes

I just pulled the codes, and the only code is a: 12 Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles.

This would have been from when I disconnected the battery during installation of the water pump.

So, no help there .....................

Any Ideas.....anyone?

Thanks,
Ron

Old 11-28-2008, 04:27 PM
codydakota
Captain

It could be an issue completely unrelated. Sounds like the ASD relay or the circuit has a fault in it. It won't always show up in the code read out, my '95 is proof of that. Makes it a bitch to find the problem. What i would do is check for spark at the ignition coil, and check for fuel at the test port. If your not getting spark and not getting fuel that would lead me to believe it was the ASD (auto Shut Down). If you're not getting spark, but are getting fuel, try replacing the ignition coil, if you're not getting fuel, but are getting spark, check the fuel pump relay (check for operation of the fuel pump, should hear a whirring sound as soon as you turn the key to the on position. If the relay comes up good, then it could be an issue with a filter, pump, regulator, and I believe in '94 -'96 the fuel filter, pump, and regulator were all one unit, to replace one, you need to replace all. Start small, let us know what you get or don't get, it's probably something bogus, like a relay or bad splice or coil, but i don't think the water pump had anything to do with it not starting, unless you had a bad connection at the battery, but then again, you're getting it to turn over.

An easy way I find to test relays is to swap them with the starter relay (they're all the same), if the truck won't even turn over, then you have your problem.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

To me it kinda sounds like you accently pulled a wire loose or something. The first thing I can think of is the coil. It is close to where you were working and could just have it loose or a pulled wire.

Check to see what you have like do you have spark at the plugs, or if you have fuel pressure, or if the fuel injectors are working. Lots of posibiltys. ASD realy is always a posibilty too, it will shut down the coil and plugs but not fuel pump.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:01 PM
rvpeddler
Default Fixed....

The no start problem was due to a ground wire that I failed to reconnect....uuuuggghhhh.

I hate when that happens.

Thanks to all who replied. Your advice/counsel was/is much appreciated.

Happy Holidays to one and all.
Ron
Orlando, Florida

Quick Reply: No Start After Water Pump Replacement