1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dashboard lighting(speedometer, rpm, etc), radio, and inside dome light not working.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 01:58 AM
Nicegy525
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dashboard lighting(speedometer, rpm, etc), radio, and inside dome light not working.

your compresor doesnt work because the freon probably leaked out. Have it tested by an a/c repair shop. As far as the radio goes, find the power wire going into the radio, if it doeant have power then youve got a short somewhere

Old 10-24-2007, 11:04 PM
JohnTheodore
Default RE: Dashboard lighting(speedometer, rpm, etc), radio, and inside dome light not working.

I did an R134 recharge myself, and I have 35 PSI, which according to the gauge is a good amount. Can I have a high PSI like this, and still have a leak? Wouldn't I be much closer to zero PSI if I had a leak? I shouldn't try to short the compressor manually?

Cheers,
John

Old 11-11-2007, 07:53 PM
JohnTheodore

ok, I fixed my radio, and all my interior lights work now etc. I replaced the headlamp switch, now the only problem I have, is that my left directional doesn't work. When I try to put it on, my dashboard just shows a solid left green arrow, and it's not blinking. When I put my right directional on, it works fine, and the right green arrow blinks normally etc. What could be causing this, how can I fix it?

Cheers,
John

Old 11-11-2007, 09:46 PM
iraqvet
Professional

there is probably a bad turn signal bulb on the driver side, front or rear...either the bulb is bad or is not making a good connection.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:14 PM
JohnTheodore

hmm, somehow the bulb broke while inside the taillight casing and fastened in there properly, maybe it was vibration. there is a new bulb in there and the blinker works again.

When I got my oil changed, the guy said I had a leaky transmission, he said it was a gasket I've been putting transmission fluid in every couple months, as it will get low. What is a good way to fix this leak..., should I use sealant or something? I have this Indian Head Gasket Shellac Sealant..but I'm not sure where to put it on, what parts/what it looks like.

Any help is appreciated,

Cheers,
John

Old 11-21-2007, 06:59 PM
JohnTheodore

Iraqvet wrote:
The pan gasket is leaking? If it is, drop the pan and replace the filter and gasket...they are about $10 for the kit. Clean the pan and transmission sealing edge with paint thinner, brake cleaner or other solvent then apply a thin bead of silicone based RTV on the pan and put the gasket on the pan....the rtv keeps the gasket in place. Put another thin bead of RTV on top of the gasket and bolt it back on. You will loose about 4-6 quarts of transmission fluid replacing the pan gasket but it is the only way to permenantly stop the leak.
I have no idea, I have to fill up my tranmission fluid every couple months, and some spanish guy who changed my oil at Valvoline mumbled something about a gasket. I don't even know which part/where to look under my truck. Is this a difficult job to do? Once the tranmission fluid leaks out, can I reuse that? thanks for the help

Cheers,
John

Old 11-21-2007, 07:01 PM
JohnTheodore

I was just going to use this Indian Head Gasket Shellac, and seal wherever I saw **** leaking out of. Would it be a bad idea to do this, this stuff smells pretty bad, I'm told it's permanent wherever you put it, and too be careful with it.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:10 PM
BuckTracker

It's used on the gasket surface when installing a gasket. It is good stuff and does stick to just about any clean surface. I use it on rear end covers and coolant connections that are corroded. I never tried it on the exterior of anything.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:18 PM
JohnTheodore

BuckTracker, so I can just put this on the gasket surface? I don't even know what the gasket surface looks like, are there any pictures of this on the forum anywhere?

Old 11-21-2007, 07:26 PM
BuckTracker

If you buy a new gasket that is good quality you shouldn't need anything like that stuff. Best fix is a new gasket. It is a messy job but easy to do. I wish that's all my tranny needed.

Quick Reply: Dashboard lighting(speedometer, rpm, etc), radio, and inside dome light not working.