1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1989 Dakota V6 Missing/Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 06:12 PM
1shotjake
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had the same issue the fuel filter seemed to have fixed it for a while just like you said but it again went back to its missing.

I think I might have fixed what ever my problem was, but I honestly can't tell you what I did. The wires to the crank sensor were replaced, and I had a new crank sensor. But that didn't seem to do it. Somewhere in that time period it seemed to become a heat issue. I put in a new T-Stat, and if I keep it out of OD its just fine (but gets way too hot after about an hour on the freeway) and a new radiator is on the way.

Sounds like it doesn't like being under any sort of load. Unless I'm just throwing out a load of BS lol. I'm no expert, just going off my experience.

does the v6 use a kegger style intake like the v8? Could the plenum gasket be shot? How is your fuel millage and oil usage?

Last edited by 1shotjake; 08-23-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:00 PM
FliGi7

Well, fuel mileage is about 170 to a tank. Not sure if that is good or not b/c this is not my truck and I haven't been driving it for its life. I'm not sure what a kegger style intake is, though. It seems to use up about half a quart of oil every 500-700 miles or so, which isn't super great but at the same time, even when flooring it, there is no smoke out of the exhaust like it is burning it excessively.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:03 AM
STARPUSS

mine (1994) was doing that , and i changed the coil and it was fine

Old 08-26-2008, 11:36 PM
FliGi7

Sounds like it could either be the coil, distributor, or plug wires (arcing when under load).

Old 02-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Erics89Dodge
Default Some help with the issue

I drive a 1989 Dodge Dakota, 2 wheel drive with the 3.9 liter V-6. I am and have been experiencing the same thing since the start of the colder weather here in the North. What I have found is I narrowed it down to the error code 34. Which is your speed control vaccuum or vent control solenoid circuit) I have replaced the fuel filter, my TPS (throttle positioning sensor), and map and non of the following have fixed the issueso that leaves it to the CODE 34, or perhaps a O2 SENSOR or even a issue with the TORQUE CONVERTER it only the biggest loss of power occurs when putting a load on the motor and tranny while driving, Park and Neutral have plenty of acceleration but drive and OD something causes it to lose power to the wheels at different times temps and climates. It is Extremely bad when it is cold and warming up. Once to temp though it gets better but still losses power to wheels at time to time.
NOW THE ISSUE boils down to the CODE 34 and the problem I am running into which is that once you get this far is how to locate the SPEED CONTROL COMPONENTS in the truck. Dodge says there is a stepby step process you can follow to fix it and it is somewhere here online but I cant find it anywhere so here I am getting fellow Dodge fans inpute as well as expertice. Anyone that can help any further would be greatly appreciated. And hope I also helped to some degree with others experiencing this problem.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Erics89Dodge

I also replaced my plugs wires cap rotor and coil and it is still giving me the same issue. The Manifold issue is a good idea but wouldnt you have oil antifreeze mix in you radiator if it were bad from the water and oil being able to mix throuogh the bad gasket ? And the crankcase wires may be where this speed control vac and vent issue may be located as well so that might be a lead towards the right direction.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:52 PM
fjdejesus

Het guys I have 1990 3.9 v6 2wd that also has the heat issues and lack of power at shifting. My Dakota is an automatic so I have to let up on throttle before it will shift up. This is a problem that seems to come and go. Anyone have luck with this?

Old 07-15-2012, 12:34 AM
fjdejesus

Guys I thought it might be helpful to say this happens more in the afternoon then early morning hours. And truck just passed smog.

Quick Reply: 1989 Dakota V6 Missing/Hesitation