1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:32 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Wanna Redo my Headliner, Again

Old 01-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Meezyy Jayy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanna Redo my Headliner, Again

hey guys im new here, i have a 91 dodge dak v6 single cab thats bone stock besides a cheapo air filter, anyways i redid my headliner with the factory material and i was displeased after a few days because the fabric began to sag and i the head liner got ripped after i unistalled it. so i plan on getting one from a junkyard or something and getting some new material and glue.

1. what material would you use for the headliner?

2. what kind of glue? the spray adhesive seem to only work for a few days.

Thanks

Old 01-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I will move this to the 1st Generation Dakota sub-forum.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:12 PM
VeryOldMerc

Tired of replacing headliners. I'm sanding down the card, in the car, then I will prime it with an all in one primer/paint and a small foam roller. It's only cardboard so the paint should adhere well. Will let U know if this works.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Meezyy Jayy
Rookie

well what im planning on doing is finding a new headliner from a junk yard and i cant do that, i'd just strip it of all the foam stuff, then glue some down some insulator foam then the fabric over that, and i might get a 2nd gen's sun visors and handles and stick it on the 1st gen. but keep me posted and use pics lol

Old 01-03-2012, 03:56 PM
DirtyHarry83
Amateur

I got my fabric from.

http://www.yourautotrim.com/

One can of adhesive should be enough.

Make sure you gently scrub off all of the old glue. I used a soft bristle car wash brush. Gentle strokes, it took me over 30 minutes to clear off all of the old glue and sponge material.

Note: The adhesive has a setup time of 5-8 minutes. Do not apply the fabric before that time or it will have the same results you had before. Once it's setup then apply the fabric working from the center out. I centered the fabric as best I could and applied pressure going out from the center. I just cut off the excess on the sides and did a 3 inch (roughly) overlap for the front and back. The overlap is to cover the front and back edges of the head liner so others cannot see the foam/cardboard. Just go slow and steady. Expect it to take some time to do the process. I found the slower you work the better the results.

Also for me the slower I worked the less likely I was to mess it up.

My headliner has been going strong for a while now, and see no reason for it to fall any time soon.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Meezyy Jayy
Rookie

thanks, i was thinking about snagging 2nd gen visors (with a mirror and light) and maybe even a head unit, do you happen to know the wiring that would be involved? just a 12v wire maybe?

Old 01-10-2012, 07:54 PM
bawoo169
Amateur

DirtyHarry83, I need to replace my 1995 SLT headliner . . . When you scrub off the old glue, do you use a solvent or simply dry brush? Meezyy Jayy, sorry to crash your thread.

Thanks.

Last edited by bawoo169; 01-10-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Meezyy Jayy
Rookie

its all good man, im in the process of changing my interior from nasty gray to a beige peanutbutter color.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:37 AM
bawoo169
Amateur

Your truck looks great! I'm just beginning to "restore" mine and plan to have it painted this spring. If I can remove the trim to take the headliner board out, recovering it doesn't sound like a very tough job. Now . . . wonder if I could recover the visors?

Old 01-11-2012, 09:25 PM
GTXpress
Professional

A fabric store like maybe Hancock Fabrics, thats the local one here, has headliner fabric. It is thick and the soft foamy like fabric. They also have the spray adhesive. I am going to do that to my headliner, but my buddy did it awhile back and it hasnt resagged. Looks great to. you may need to know how to sew to recover the visors though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wanna Redo my Headliner, Again