1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

starter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 02:32 PM
mike's88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter replacement

Hi guys, this is my 1st post on here. My stepson bought a 1987 dakota,3.9 auto, 2 wd. We're trying to replace the starter. I know we have to remove the steering shaft to pull the starter, but how do you remove the pin that holds the upper u-joint in place. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:04 PM
kahanabob
Captain

Don't think you need to remove the shaft. Just pull the starter out and it will snake down thru and past the exaust pipe.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:43 PM
mike's88

Nope. the starter hits the driver side motor mount befores the nose clears the block. It has to swing out, away from the engine. The shaft blocks it in.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

In the FAQ there are online servace manuals. listed. Here is what they said. If you need more info look up those sites.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2.Disconnect the wires attached to the starter solenoid to facilitate removal. Disconnect the solenoid leads at their solenoid terminals. If necessary, tag then to avoid confusion when re-installing.
3. Remove the cable from the starter.
4. Unbolt the starter from the vehicle.
5. Once detached, remove the starter from the vehicle. Remove the starter attachment bolts and withdraw the starter from the engine flywheel housing. On some models with automatic transmissions, the oil cooler tube bracket will interfere with the starter removal. In this case, remove the starter attachment bolts, slide the cooler tube bracket off the stud, and then withdraw the starter.

NOTE: On 4WD Dakota models with the V6 engine, the starter is removed from above. On these models you will have to disconnect the steering gear and position the shaft out of the way to gain working clearance

Installation is the reverse of removal. Secure the starter in place using the bolts and washers removed. Tighten the bolts to 50 ft. lbs. (68 Nm)

Old 10-13-2008, 11:01 AM
mike's88

NOTE: On 4WD Dakota models with the V6 engine, the starter is removed from above. On these models you will have to disconnect the steering gear and position the shaft out of the way to gain working clearance

quote] Exactly what I said, except this is a 2wd. Now, HOW do you remove the steering shaft u-joint?

Old 10-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well acording to the Instructions since yours is 2wd you DONT need to remove it. But like I said if you needed more info check the service manuals on FAQ.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:42 PM
kahanabob
Captain

You need to unbolt the rack&pinion, two bolts, pull the unit toward the front bumper and the steering shaft will slip out. Then you can position it out of the way.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:55 PM
mike's88

Originally Posted by kahanabob
You need to unbolt the rack&pinion, two bolts, pull the unit toward the front bumper and the steering shaft will slip out. Then you can position it out of the way.
Kahanabob, thanks, looking in the haynes manual, it says to disconnect the steering coupling, but I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to do it. That arm looks like it was put in during assembly of the r&p. We'll try that this weekend, sure it will work.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:09 AM
kahanabob
Captain

There also should be a nut on the steering shaft that if you remove the lower part of the shaft slides inside the upper part and this will let you move it out of the way.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:23 PM
mike's88

Originally Posted by mike's88
Kahanabob, thanks, looking in the haynes manual, it says to disconnect the steering coupling, but I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to do it. That arm looks like it was put in during assembly of the r&p. We'll try that this weekend, sure it will work.
Well, did exactly as kahanabob said. Got the starter out and the new one in. Took about 1 1/2 hrs. Sure was a bear loosening those bolts on the rack, torqed to about 150 ft. lbs. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: starter replacement