1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

91 Dak no fuel on startup (electrical)

Old 10-14-2018, 10:20 PM
chasebh89
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 91 Dak no fuel on startup (electrical)

So I've been fighting my 91 recently trying to get it to start properly. It's like it's not sending enough/any power to the injectors/fuel pump. It should give the little priming shot of fuel and engage the pump before starting but recently it hasn't been for various reasons. I used to be able to fix this by toggling the key on/off until it works but it would also sometimes give the primer, start, then die because the fuel pump isn't running, which could be solved by giving it two primer shots and sometimes, if it was really feisty, holding the gas pedal 1/3 the way. I originally thought it was a faulty auto shutdown relay but I recently replaced it and the problem got worse and now won't prime or engage the pump. I'm thinking it's either the fuel pump itself or the 'Infamous Splice' that I recently noticed is a big, green, oxidized mess. If anyone knows more about the wiring I'd very much like to know more about it. I'll be tackling the splice soon so hopefully that helps

Old 10-14-2018, 10:39 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Step 0 - Pick up a copy of the factory service manual. Good news, they're under $23 on disk at RockAuto (Bishko Publishing printed them for Chrysler back when, and does the reproduction printing even today.)

Step 1- Before you worry about ANYTHING - fix that green glob of oxidation. That'll cause problems all by itself.

RwP

Old 10-14-2018, 11:21 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Lol big green oxidized mess. Yeah, that's not highly conducive to...well, conduction. It's not that it's the only thing that could cause your symptoms, but as you have found out, it is an extremely prevalent issue. No sense at all in thinking about other potential problems when you haven't eliminated the one right in front of you that is simple and cost nothing to fix.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:02 PM
chasebh89
Rookie

Well it's starting fine for some reason but the abs light came on for some reason, even though i don't have abs... All other codes have gone except 42... Which is even more strange since I almost always get 2-3 codes

Old 10-16-2018, 05:50 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You sure? You probably have rear wheel abs, not front.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:03 PM
chasebh89
Rookie

@tbugden after looking around underneath I actually found a small abs module tucked in the frame on the driver side rear.
however I had a break down a few days ago and I thought I had fixed it. Well it won't start again. Me and a friend were doing some troubleshooting and it might be either a bad fuel pump or a bad ground on the fuel pump itself... Strangely enough it's not giving me any code (other than 12 and 55) so I think the problem with the splice has been solved (for now) and it is a bad ground... Going to try working on it today but it won't start for me to get it to my garage

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 91 Dak no fuel on startup (electrical)