1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94 3.9 water pump fan removal HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 08:03 AM
rvpeddler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 3.9 water pump fan removal HELP

I'm replacing the water pump on my 94 Dakota with a 3.9 V6, and cannot seem to remove the fan from the pump. Any help.........

I have the pump, with fan attached, out but cannot seem to remove the fan from it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Ron

Old 11-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The fan clutch can get stuck on good. Its best to get some good penitrating oil. Keep on the belt to help keep tention on the pully. Get a wrench and tighten on the belt tentioner to give you more tention. Get a big wrench and turn the giant nut. It is right hand thread. It can take a while untill it brakes free. Keep tention on the water pump at the same time your lossing the fan clutch nut.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:44 AM
rvpeddler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now what????????

Thanks, for the help. I finally got the fan off, and replaced the water pump, thermostat and by-pass hose, but..............................

Got it all back together, filled radiator, started the truck, and.......................

It started right up, ran about 3 minutes, and died. Now it turns over, but does NOT start????

I know this is a shot in the dark, but, any ideas?

Old 12-05-2008, 04:41 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you getting fuel? I know it is a long shot, but when I was messing around under the hood of my truck I must have bumped the electrical wires running along the drivers side. There is a bunch of tape around one connection in particular. Those wires can get corroded and actually deteriorates to where it doesn't make a connection and actually caused my truck to not start at all. Starter would crank and when I poured a small amount of gas into the engine directly it would run briefly and then die. The connection should be listed under the FAQ if I am not mistaken.

Quick Reply: 94 3.9 water pump fan removal HELP