1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Weird clicking

Old 04-03-2009, 12:55 AM
ModT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird clicking

I never noticed it before, but when I turn the truck off it makes a clicking noise that sounds liek a horse cantering really lightly on the road, thats how i can explain what it sounds liek. What do you think it could be, or is it just what a truck does when you turn the ignition off?

Old 04-03-2009, 01:54 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does it sound like it's coming from the engine/transmission, like an excessivly loud "tink...tink...tink...tink...tink"? If so, my truck makes the same noise, but the strange thing is I never remembered it making that noise until the first time I pulled the transmission. I have no idea what it is but I've never worried about it, I've heard many other cars make the same noise.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 04-03-2009 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:40 PM
1shotjake
Professional

hmm could it be from one of your engine accessories? Maybe your fan is hitting something, or the bearings in something is going out. The bearings in either one of the pumps or the alternator in my dads van are going and they chatter quite a bit as well.

Seeing as it happen when you turn it off, I would assume that means that it has nothing to do with anything that moves... but I'd check your drive shafts anyway (I had a brush guard hitting my shaft for a while, and then another time suspected the CV shafts) it turned out to be that the wheel hadn't been tightened correctly.

I'd say check all of those things first and eliminate all the obvious possibilities.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:14 PM
ModT
Professional
Thumbs up Obviously

Actually, I went to get an oil change yesterday, i would hav rather done it myself but i felt liek i should really do it, so i went and was sitting waiting for my turn, then the truck started overheating, lots of smoke was coming out of my right side of the engine, i turned off the truck and couldnt think of what it could be, i knew it was the coolant, but what?I have a manual switch that turns the electric fan on and off and it was off which caused it to over heat liek crazy. Arent I smart!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird clicking