1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Coolant temp / IAT sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 01:25 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW! That can't be good. Are you sure that's really a problem with the sending unit and not the pump itself? The pump could be going bad and not drawing any pressure at idle. That's my $0.02. I put a pump in my truck, it's a very easy thing to change once you get to it... but getting to it is a PITA!

What kind of system is in your truck? It sounds pretty good (of course thats playing it back on laptop speakers, so its hard to say how good it actually sounds)! And what are you listening to?

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 04-30-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:33 AM
ModT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im listening to love to hate it, by Anew Revolution, Such a good song.
I thought about it being the oil pump. But I thought Id try getting a switch first incase that was the problem, but as i see it is not. But it doesnt hurt to have a new OPswitch.

I have 2, 10 inch kicker subs 2 coaxes and 2 components and 2 amps one to power the speakers and one to power the subs. I put in bucket seats so that I can fit the subs in the middle.

Eventually I plan to cut the back of the truck under the rear window, and the bed so that i can have an extended cab but only the bottom half and have my subs in there. One behind each seat. So the box will become a shorty lol.

I have lots of plans for my truck, just gotta figure out what the hell this is..Its always the simplist things that seem the hardest.

Can you post me something on how to change the oil pump? Also my boyfriend said that that is really hard to change and I wont be able to do it, so if you say its easy Ill take your word for it.

Also what about a fuel filter, my bf says that I need to get one and he will put it in, but why would i need one? Or is something that you should change every so often? And If you think I do need to change it, how do you do it? lol THANKS!!!

Old 04-30-2009, 02:34 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ModT
When I press the gas, the light goes off, but when i hit the break the light turns off. And the oil pressure drops completly when Im at a stop, So I dont know if you guys have any suggestions to what it could be since its no the switch or sensor?
Alot of older engines do that. It is verry commen.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:14 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ModT
Can you post me something on how to change the oil pump? Also my boyfriend said that that is really hard to change and I wont be able to do it, so if you say its easy Ill take your word for it.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-on-a-4x4.html

Old 04-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Coadster
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it looks like I have my work cut out for me tomorrow. By the looks of it, Im going to have to pull the alternator, A/C compressor, etc just to get to that dam coolant temperature sensor. I'm praying this fixes my idling problem.

Quick Reply: Coolant temp / IAT sensor