1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Coolant temp. sensor causing erratic idle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:00 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

10-4. Just making sure there wasn't a sensor on these trucks I'm not aware of!

Old 05-04-2009, 11:14 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is a air booster controller sensor. Now if you disconnect this you will get 40mpg and 150 more HP. Its located in the dashboard. I'm removing the dash right now so I can get to it! It's a gas company conspiracy to hide this from the public! Government is on this too man!

Old 05-04-2009, 11:17 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
There is a air booster controller sensor. Now if you disconnect this you will get 40mpg and 150 more HP. Its located in the dashboard. I'm removing the dash right now so I can get to it! It's a gas company conspiracy to hide this from the public! Government is on this too man!
LMAO! Let me know how that works out for you Crazy! I'll get my 150 more HP with the 408

Old 05-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Coadster
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody know why after replacing the coolant temp sensor I now get an error code 14 which is MAP sensor voltage too low? I started a new thread about this but it hasnt gotten much attention... I'm starting to hate sensors!!! Should I just try replacing the dam thing? I dont want to go and buy one only to find I dont need it.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Bleechmint

Check the connectors to the PCM. Mine was throwing codes for all these sensors. I discovered that I could rock the connectors to the PCm and get the engine to stall. I put pipe clamps around the PCM and a dowel across the connectors and this solved ALL my problems.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:42 AM
woodboy
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
I guess I just wasn't paying attention. I was just thinking of sensors and just didn't think of the Idle air control. But the Intake manifold air temperature sensor is what I was talking about. There are several types of names for lots of these things. Here is autozone's page with it called Air charge temperature sensor. I just added the Intake because that is where is located. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...entId=cat10014
I purchased an Air charge temperature sensor from autozone and can't find where the old one is. I have the 89 Dakota SE 4x4 with the v-6 engine. Any suggestions to where it might be located?

The following users liked this post:
FatTwon (08-14-2019)
Old 11-23-2014, 11:34 PM
Tiger Pop

New member here.

What is this resetting the computer the OP refers to?

My rarely driven '94 Dakota 2WD started to idle wildly and turned on the check engine lamp. Thanks to dodgeforum I was able to interpret the codes and learn that the 22 called out the coolant temp sensor. It was replaced and the truck runs better most of the time.

The check engine lamp comes on shortly after I take off. Again, the code is 22. Will resetting the computer clear the error code if the problem is resolved or is more troubleshooting called for?

What is the procedure to reset the computer?

Thanks.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:57 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

The simplest way to reset the computer is to a) disconnect the negative battery cable, b) turn the headlights on (no, they won't come on), c) go inside and have a cold one (I like Diet Coke with Splenda - pick your favorite cold libation!) and d) after at least 15 minutes (which is overkill!), turn the headlights off and reconnect the negative battery cable.

Or, wait for at least 20 IIRC start cycles on the truck to see if it clears the error.

RwP

Old 11-24-2014, 01:01 PM
kahanabob
Captain

i replaced the coolant sensor on my old 90, got it from auto zone, it was a gray market sensor and it caused exactly what you describe. did not know it was the issue until i took it to the dealer and they replaced it with dodge part................

Old 02-11-2022, 09:09 AM
slowkoata

Originally Posted by Coadster
Well, I replaced the sensor. And guess what? She runs like a top now, Idles flawlessley. It still confuses me how the cooling system affects the idling.
hi i see this is years later but hacing the same proble so bascially the sensor when its broke or missing is telling the motor its too cold so is dumping too uch fuel but rines fine on a cold motor but when it warms up its still dumping that fuel in on a warm engine is flooding the motor with excess fuel

Quick Reply: Coolant temp. sensor causing erratic idle?