Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Dakota > 1st Gen Dakota
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1st Gen Dakota '96 & Older Dakota's

Throw out bearing replacement

Old 05-18-2009, 01:38 PM

Default Throw out bearing replacement

3 weeks ago I had the throw out bearings replaced on my '93 Dodge Dakota Sport pick-up. The mechanic gave me what I thought was a good deal, $550 parts and labor. A week after I find myself stranded unable to get the clutch to engage. upon calling the mechanic I am told it is unrelated and to tow the truck in. They tear it open again and tell me the pressure plate and clutch disk are bad and since they had to again open up the trany, I am looking at $800.

I have talked to several novices mechanics as well as searched the web and the general consensus it that they should have replaced the entire clutch assembly and that this comes as one complete kit.

Would you agree?
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 05-18-2009, 02:07 PM
Champion

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Dakota SLT 5.2L V8 4x4 5 Speed Club Cab

Yes I agree 100%, there is no reason at all to replace a throwout bearing and not put a clutch in it... too much work! If the throwout bearing was bad, chances are the fingers on the pressure plate were worn out as well, and if the pressure plate needs replacing, you definately want a new clutch plate. Most new clutch kits come with the clutch plate, pressure plate, pilot and throwout bearings cause most people replace it all at once. The mechanic definately should have at least inspected the pressure plate and clutch plates, and if he were competent, he should have seen a problem (cause there obviously was one). I don't know what you can do about it at this point, but that mechanic was very negligent. If your even a little bit mechanically inclined and have the tools, I would suggest you do it yourself. You can get a clutch kit for less than $200.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 05-18-2009 at 02:16 PM..
Old 05-18-2009, 02:07 PM

Tags
1997, 3500, 95, bad, bearing, clutch, dodge, installation, mustang, noise, ram, replacement, srt, throw, truck