1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Removing the A/C condenser?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 01:03 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Removing the A/C condenser?

I'm trying to get the radiator support off my new-to-me '95 2wd v6 and I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the lines from the A/C Condenser so I can remove it. Everything else is off the radiator support except that. I've tried to look in the manual, but I still can't figure where the lines come apart.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:16 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a picture of where to disconnect it from.
It requires special A/C line disconnect tool. Available at pretty much any auto parts store (even on the rent-a-tool at AutoZone I believe).
The process is outlined on page 24-19 of the 1995 service manual.

Attached Thumbnails Removing the A/C condenser?-ac.jpg  
Old 07-05-2009, 01:21 AM
95_318SLT
Champion

Thanks!!!!! I was looking on page 24-22 in the A/C Condenser removal section, and they said take the lines out but didn't say where or how. I guess I should have looked a couple pages up!

In messing around with it, I did take off the spring clips in your picture there, but couldn't figure out what next, so I guess now I know I why... I need a special tool... go figure!

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 07-05-2009 at 01:25 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:29 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I also believe that in the lower tube, is where the orifice tube is located.
If you are going to use the condenser in your truck, as you've probably read, you should replace the orifice tube as well as the accumulator/drier.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:37 AM
95_318SLT
Champion

Yeah, but I won't have that truck ready to drive for a loooooong time. Its a new project for me. My 4x4 is pretty much done for a while. When my current tires wear out, I'll think about building my lift design for it and going with bigger tires, but as for now I'm trying to enjoy all the work I've put into it.

Now this new truck... its going to get the 408 when I finish building it, and if I can find one, a T56 6 speed. I'm also going to look for fiberglass leaf springs, traction bars, 50-50 shocks in the back and 90-10s in the front. It outta hook up great with the big engine! I also want to swap the shackle hangers between the 2 trucks to raise the 4x4 (I'll pull out the bottom leaf spring to try and bring it back to the height its at now until I get the front suspension lift built down the road), and lower the 2wd, and I'll look for 2 inch drop spindles for the front. I'm hoping to have it painted by the end of summer, but right now I'm trying to get it running so I know if I can sell the engine/transmission out of it. I'll talk more about my plans for it when I actually get them going!!

Old 07-05-2009, 01:02 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
Yeah, but I won't have that truck ready to drive for a loooooong time. Its a new project for me. My 4x4 is pretty much done for a while. When my current tires wear out, I'll think about building my lift design for it and going with bigger tires, but as for now I'm trying to enjoy all the work I've put into it.

Now this new truck... its going to get the 408 when I finish building it, and if I can find one, a T56 6 speed. I'm also going to look for fiberglass leaf springs, traction bars, 50-50 shocks in the back and 90-10s in the front. It outta hook up great with the big engine! I also want to swap the shackle hangers between the 2 trucks to raise the 4x4 (I'll pull out the bottom leaf spring to try and bring it back to the height its at now until I get the front suspension lift built down the road), and lower the 2wd, and I'll look for 2 inch drop spindles for the front. I'm hoping to have it painted by the end of summer, but right now I'm trying to get it running so I know if I can sell the engine/transmission out of it. I'll talk more about my plans for it when I actually get them going!!
how much for the engine and tranny? how many miles? does it run? you know, all the basic stuff i gotta ask..

Old 07-05-2009, 02:44 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

It has 18x,xxx miles on it. I know nothing about the history of that truck. I've gotten the engine to run, but it needs a desperate tune up. The problem I'm having right now is that I can't get the engine to sit down into the engine mounts, cause its loose right now. I'm trying to get the radiator support to come off so I can get a better look at what is stopping it (and to make pulling it out much easier if I have to). Whenever I can get the engine mounted I'll take it for a drive to see if the transmission works.

To be honest though, it would cost just as much to ship it up to Canada as what I'd be selling it for.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you just leave the v6 coil springs in it when you do the 408 swap it has a pretty low ride height. mine dropped quite a bit. still handles and rides good though. good luck on the project.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:54 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
To be honest though, it would cost just as much to ship it up to Canada as what I'd be selling it for.
that is very true. im just trying out my different options for what i wanna do, cuz all in all, it would be way easier to make a v6 stroker for me than a v8. mainly cuz everything is already there for the engine, BUT at the same time...

i just gotta stop being so fricken lazy!

Quick Reply: Removing the A/C condenser?