1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Transmission died again!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 12:47 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats what I thought. I honestly think the only difference between the 46rh and 47rh is the clutches. If you got performance clutch packs and a shift kit in a 46rh it should be just as strong if not stronger than a 47rh.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:08 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Doing a google search and I found a few things. But looks like not a simple swap in, due to swapping in a new transfer case, custom made driveshaft. Oh well it was worth a look.

The 46 ans 47 are the same except for some extra clutches and a four or five pinion planetaries.

This site has all listed in one spot, leading me to believe they all are similar. http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

Found a few posts about the older diesels using 727 and a518 which use our bolt patterns.

Found out there is a 48rh. 47rh good for 500hp. 48rh good for 800hp.

Looks like they use adapters inbetween the engine and transmission. Here is a pic of it. http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d....html?t=236738

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 09-01-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:39 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

NV4500. I know its manual but you might not be able to break that one.

My brother had his transmission rebuilt at an AAMCO. Has the 5.2L in his. They were expensive, and didn't do a careful job putting everything back together, like tightening all the bolts, so my brother had to go over everything once more. But over a year later its still running so I guess it is ok for now.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Well I called around and found out AAMCO wasn't to high priced. But they wanted to rebuild mine. I don't want anything to do with that old transmission. So I found a local place Matsco that does quality work that has one in stock. Good price and 3 year warranty. There was a few more good shops but none had any in stock. And this one has a 3 day turn around. I don't mind installing it myself but I have no time. And if a warranty issues occurs, I would have to uninstall it and take it in, then reinstall it. Too much work if it is acting up.

I should add, this shop does transmissions for most of the dragstip cars and the sprint/ circle track cars.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 09-01-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:24 PM
skyshark186
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool. Hope it works out well for you

Old 09-01-2009, 07:30 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

My work truck is a 2001 2500 Ram utility body, with the NV4500 and 5.9 Mag. Driving 1 handed stick is easily mastered . For extra laziness, float the 3-4 shift. I think a 4500 would be great for a 5.9 Dakota. It would rip.

However, after only 90,000 miles, the gates on the 4500 are a little 'rubbery'. My Dakota's Getrag is as crisp as the day I bought it at 40K.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:20 AM
grswat
Veteran

If you pull it yourself and can get it to me (central Ohio) I have a guy that can rebuild them for $350 and he does an amazing job. I've put 2 of his in different vehicles and they shift better than my truck.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Thanks for the offer grswat thats a little far. I do have a guy who rebuilds them for local racers at the tracks, and has good prices but you do have to wait 1-2 months due to how busy he is, since he does it on the side. He rebuilt mt TH350 in my TA, for $300. That tranny can handle that extreme abuse.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:40 PM
pashadowops
Veteran

I hope I'm not too late on this but AAMCO SUX MAJOR!!!!!

I had taken my van in for repairs, they took the tranny apart and showed me everything that was broken on it and was unrepairable. They gave me the option on getting a new one for $3800 or getting a rebuilt for $1900 or one from a salvage yard. I opted for the salvage yard. They called me telling me that they found one locally at a salvage yard with only 65k miles on it for $995. I didn't have that kind of money so I called around and found what I think was the same exact transmission from a local yard because it too only had 65k miles on it. They sold it to me for $375. I call AAMCO and told them that I had found a transmission and they told me there would be no problem installing it, I would only have to pay for the labor which was obvious. So the whole thing ran me about $700. Here's where the real scumbag part comes in. They told me that they were replacing the filter and the trans fluid because they didn't know how long it sat in the yard and charged me for it. Two weeks later the trans started acting really erroneous and shifting poorly so I took it back to have it looked at. The mechanic came out and told me that the problem was cause by old transmission fluid and a clogged filter and that it basically wrecked a bunch of the clutch packs and they needed to be replaced. I told him that all that was replaced when the trans was installed two weeks ago and he told me that the filter looked like it hadn't been replaced in years not weeks. At that point the service manager came out and instructed him to go back to work that he would handle this. He told me that everything was replaced when I had the trans installed and that the mechanic was new and didn't know what he was talking about. He tried telling me that it was going to cost another $$$ to rebuild this trans. I told him to shove it and to put the trans back together and I would take it somewhere else. When I got home I pulled the pan off and sure enough, that filter was clogged solid so it appears that the trans was starving for fluid and some things burned out. I will never take any vehicle to AAMCO again...ever. This may have been an isolated incident but I don't trust my cars to anyone anymore. Only to the guy that does my inspection cause he knows I do my own work and we've been friends for a few years now. My wife hates this cause it usually takes longer for me to get the work done but, it gets done and it gets done right. That's my 2 cents on AAMCO

Old 09-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Pashadowops that sucks! I choose to go to another shop, I had them pick it up yesterday. It was in one of the earlier posts. But thanks for the advise!

Quick Reply: Transmission died again!