1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1992 Dakaota Low Beams don't work

Old 09-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Sashin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Dakaota Low Beams don't work

Hello Everyone.

I've searched around and I think it's either the multifunction or the headlamp switch. Just looking for more advice from you guys.

The low beams don't work. When I pull the multifunction switch towards me it makes a clicking sound but I have to hold it for the high beams to be on. On most cars you just pull it and let go and it switches between them. I'm thinking it's broken?

I replaced the bulbs, they are fine. The headlight pull switch seems ok. It can activate the driving lights, turning it adjusts the brightness of the dash, and all the way will turn on the interior dome light.

All the lights, parking, turn, hazzard, etc work, except the low beams.

If it is the multi or the pull switch, anyone know where to get them for cheap? Called the stealership and they want 100 for the pull and haven't asked about the multi yet.

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

So when you pull on the lights on, neither the highs or lows turn on. So no headlights at all at that time. If so I would say its the pull switch. But the multi may be acting up too. Your best bet for cheep parts is www.autozone.com or www.ebay.com or craigslist.org or your local junkyard.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Sashin

Thanks for the reply Crazy.

Yes, neither low or high turn on. The only way any lights turn on is if the running lights are on and I pull back the multifunction lever. They stay on only if I hold them back, and if I hold it for long, they turn off anyway. Must be over heating?

A funny thing is if the pull switch is all the way out(headlight on mode, second click), the high beams won't turn on when I pull back the multifunction lever. They only turn on when the pull switch is in the driving light one. (First stop on the pull)

Old 09-04-2009, 08:15 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a bad headlight switch.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Sashin

Is this the one you guys think I would need?

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...85c7ab9e&gan=1

Or do I have to look for the full "pulling body" as well?

Old 09-06-2009, 08:17 PM
dakota_freak1989

i had the same problem with my 90 dakota i just replaced the headlamp switch with one from a junkyard it worked excellent after that hope this helps i do beleve it is a fried headlight switch the one switch thats on the dash on the left hand side of the steering wheel i paid 10 bux for mine the only problem with getting a new one without the bracket is mounting it to your bracket but if you can get a new one and mount it to your bracket id go that way just i got a quote of 60 bux for a replacement one from carquest and i live near a u pull yard so i got the used one for cheap

Old 09-07-2009, 11:49 PM
jag60mk2

Sashin,

If the high beams work when you pull upon the turn signal stalk, the switch is the problem. The high beams work only because you are using the low beam ground path. I had to drive home one night with the turn signal stalk pulled up the whole way. Go to a local parts store and ask for a Standard DS357T. I've replaced two of these. I have yet to get to the root cause, but I suspect a bad ground somewhere else in the truck.

Matt Ross
1993 Dakota 2WD Extended Cab
5.2L 278000 miles and counting

Old 09-08-2009, 04:41 AM
Sashin

Originally Posted by jag60mk2
Sashin,

If the high beams work when you pull upon the turn signal stalk, the switch is the problem. The high beams work only because you are using the low beam ground path. I had to drive home one night with the turn signal stalk pulled up the whole way. Go to a local parts store and ask for a Standard DS357T. I've replaced two of these. I have yet to get to the root cause, but I suspect a bad ground somewhere else in the truck.

Matt Ross
1993 Dakota 2WD Extended Cab
5.2L 278000 miles and counting
Thank you for your response Matt.

Do you think shucks or NAPA would have it? Is it a relay or part of the pull out? Could you give me a quick run down on how to replace it? Mainly the location.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:14 AM
pashadowops
Veteran

Sashin

Sorry man, I misunderstood what you were asking in your PM. You should be able to buy a replacement switch at any auto parts store. I've bought mine in the past at Advance Auto Parts and paid about $15 for them. I believe I read somewhere in this forum that this is a common issue with these trucks because there are no relays for the headlamps, they are directly wired to the switch. If there is a power surge it can short out the switch. I've replaced mine three times now. There is a post or perhaps in the FAQ's a how-to install relays to fix this issue. Senior members of this forum would know better. Please let me know if I have mis-spoken guys, I don't want to be giving out bad information to tarnish the reputation of this forum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1992 Dakaota Low Beams don't work