1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94 dakota with code 11 and oil lamp on, wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 12:30 PM
travs2448
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 dakota with code 11 and oil lamp on, wont start

okay so i got a 94 dakota, it was my dads work truck for years until he thought the fuel pump went out on him again about 5 years ago, after that he went out and bought an 06 dakota. anyway the truck was sitting for about 4 years until i needed a truck so we changed the fuel pump, still wouldn't start. eventually we found it was a disconnected wire under the fuse box,

after this it started and ran fine but still sat for about another year cause it needed tires and i didn't have the money for em. i did start it up every once in a while though. but one time the battery drained so i charged it up and put some oil in it cause she was very low. this was about a week ago. then it started but had an idling problem where it would stall if i took my foot of the gas. i took the air filter off and it didn't stall but it still idled like ****.

so i cleaned the throttle body and it helped the idling problem but now it only wants to start when it wants to. i will start it up in the morning it will run for a few minutes and than just drop out and stall. then ill try restarting it for 2 days and it wont turn over. it wants to turn over and im getting spark because it runs on starting fluid. and there is gas in the schrader valve. but when i try to start it the oil lamp comes on and the oil pressure takes a while to build while its cranking. and when it does get above the line it still doesn't turn over? and checked the obdi and its giving the code 11? so my guess is a bad cam sensor but can anyone tell me if this is true. because i got a mechanic telling me the crank bearings could be shot and the motor is done? also the dipstick is covered in rust, haha i dont know how bad that is?

Old 08-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Since there is some rust there it may have had water in the oil or low oil level to long. If so then the oil pump may be clogged or lots of other problems.

Code 11** Timing belt skipped 1 tooth or more from initial learned value, Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor, No crank reference signal detected during engine cranking

Double check the distributor is in the correct position.

If it runs off of starter fluid then you have a problem with the fuel system. Maybe a bad fuel pump (I know you said you replaced it). Or bad fuel filter or bad gas or a clog or kink in the line.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:45 PM
travs2448

when i crank it plenty of gas come shooting out of the valve thats by throttle body on the injector rails., i just changed the oil about 2 days ago new filter and all, and the gas is only about 6 months old in it. but i just tried starting it again and it wouldn't even crank like its sounds similar to when your battery is dead but i know the battery is fine, i even charged it to be sure. and it had the same issue. i think theres something terminally wrong here?

Old 08-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Verify you have the correct fuel pressure. Next check to see if the injectors are spraying. You can unbolt the fuel rail and slightly pick it up and crank the engine to see if it is spraying. Check each one.

Maybe your starter is going or you have bad/dirty connections at the battery or starter.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:27 PM
sailorman47

Sounds like a timing issue to me. Check the distributor ring under the cap. Sometimes the rivets come loose and the rotor is out of step with the plug placement of the distributor. Also check the pick up ring under the distributor. These have been known to act intermittently. If this is bad chances are that your coil might have damaged it or be bad also. I have experienced similar problems in my 94 dakota.

Quick Reply: 94 dakota with code 11 and oil lamp on, wont start