1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Alternator question....

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 03:00 PM
maxwgn
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator question....

I have been doing some research on my altie, as well - and find that there are a lot of chrysler vehicles that use the ECU to regulate the voltage from the alternator - so if the voltage reg goes out, you have to replace the ECU.

Does ANYONE here know if this is how OUR alternators are built?

Old 09-30-2009, 04:35 PM
pashadowops
Veteran

I do believe the EVR (Voltage Regulator) is integral to the ECU or PCM whichever you decide to call it but, I also understand that an EVR failure is pretty rare.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya they never fail. But if you get a problem with the alternator, just replace it.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:21 AM
maxwgn
Rookie

I was reading that it's not uncommon to see spikes, and even ECU codes for a bad alternator / VR if the battery cables are jacked up, or not tight. The cables on this truck look to have been southern-engineered together... I already bought some new batt terminals, and I have a LOT of 4-gauge pwer cable left from a stereo install i helped a friend with, and was planning to just redo those cables myself, using that - and maybe THAT alone will resolve the issue - if not, due to budget constraints, may just take the alt to a local shop and have them repair it for a fraction of the cost of a rebuilt...

Old 10-01-2009, 08:13 AM
pashadowops
Veteran

I remember rebuilding alternators and starters as a teenager fresh out of Lincoln Tech Institute, do they even make rebuild kits for the general public anymore?

Quick Reply: Alternator question....