1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 Dakota Gauges move?

Old 01-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Senate427
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Dakota Gauges move?

Vehicle- 93 Dakota regular 4x4 automatic V6 178k.

My gas and oil gauge like to move when I make right turns or slam on my brakes. I'll start with the gas gauge, so my gas gauge likes to move down to E then back up to wherever my gas tank level is and it only does that when I go down hills or stop hard. So far I changed my fuel pump and adjusted my float and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Now my Oil gauge is acting up like whenever I make right turns or stop hard the oil gauge will drop showing the oil indicator light for like 2 seconds. I noticed that when I add oil my gauge won't move up and down until like 4 weeks go by then it likes to resume moving again.

what could be the problem?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:03 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My gas gauge moves down when I turn right and up when I turn left. It also moves like you mentioned accelerating, stopping, downhill, uphill. The simple answer is the gas moves around in the tank so the float moves with it. Its normal, don't worry about that!

Your oil pressure gauge is definately not normal. Sounds like your engine is using a lot of oil!! Have you checked the plenum gasket, oil pressure sending unit, and rear main seal? Those are the most common places for it to leak. Or is it smoking like the rings and valve seals are shot?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:19 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

Download the 95 Dakota service manual in the FAQ thread at the top of this forum. Check the section for gauges...it will tell you how to test the gauge and check the wiring.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Senate427
Veteran

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
My gas gauge moves down when I turn right and up when I turn left. It also moves like you mentioned accelerating, stopping, downhill, uphill. The simple answer is the gas moves around in the tank so the float moves with it. Its normal, don't worry about that!

Your oil pressure gauge is definately not normal. Sounds like your engine is using a lot of oil!! Have you checked the plenum gasket, oil pressure sending unit, and rear main seal? Those are the most common places for it to leak. Or is it smoking like the rings and valve seals are shot?

There isn't any kind of smoke and my engine is still running strong. Um I just checked for leaks underneath and didn't see anything it looked all nice and dry.

How do I check the oil pressure sending unit?

Old 01-21-2010, 07:33 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

Just look at it and see if there is oil leaking from around it. From your 1st post, I gathered that your engine is losing oil fast and it sounds like when it gets low and you turn, your oil pickup is not getting any oil. There must be a leak somewhere! My engine only loses less than 1/2 quart between changes.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Senate427
Veteran

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
Just look at it and see if there is oil leaking from around it. From your 1st post, I gathered that your engine is losing oil fast and it sounds like when it gets low and you turn, your oil pickup is not getting any oil. There must be a leak somewhere! My engine only loses less than 1/2 quart between changes.
Facing vehicle/right side

I took a look at the top of the engine and saw a wet spot between the engine and where the right exhaust header connects to the engine. I checked the 3rd cylinder spark plug and notice it had oil all over it, but the other spark plugs were dry.

?

Old 01-21-2010, 08:45 PM
dk sport
Rookie

i dont thik an thing is wrong with a stock oil pan the oil moves like the gas
mine does it to under hard manuvers the oil will move from the pick up and you loose presr not to damanging every once in a wile by too often you can trash the motor thats why drag and road racers use pans with trap doors to hold the oil under these conditions. sory if i smashed any one

Old 01-21-2010, 09:29 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

Originally Posted by dk sport
i dont thik an thing is wrong with a stock oil pan the oil moves like the gas
mine does it to under hard manuvers the oil will move from the pick up and you loose presr not to damanging every once in a wile by too often you can trash the motor thats why drag and road racers use pans with trap doors to hold the oil under these conditions. sory if i smashed any one
Thats exactly what I was saying in my post above... the oil sloshes around and gets away from the pickup. BUT... it shouldn't if the engine has the proper amount of oil in it. I drive the ever living **** out of my truck on a daily basis. I'll lay the gas pedal down and shift it at 5200 rpm leaving a traffic light, I'll downshift a gear or two when coming to a corner and floor it through the turn in order to take the turn as fast as possible... my point is, I don't take it easy and my oil pressure stays within a close range from the middle of the gauge to the high side of the gauge. It has never gone below 1/2 way.

If the engine is low on oil, I can definately see it happening though, but that is an entirely different issue, not a pressure issue or electrical issue. There is another problem that is causing the engine to use too much oil.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Senate427
Veteran

I forgot to mention that my PCV valve makes a very loud buzzing sound every once in while and In the last 3 months I changed my PCV 2 times.

Is the pcv important to the oil?

I heard about something called fluorescent oil leak detection so maybe I should try it.

Last edited by Senate427; 01-21-2010 at 09:57 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 93 Dakota Gauges move?