1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel Injection conversion to carburetor

Old 06-01-2010, 06:17 PM
pghstarsky
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injection conversion to carburetor

Is there any reasonable way to convert a 94 5.2 liter from EFI to a carbureted system?
I'm having a **** ton of problems with my computer and sensors and I'd love to be able to throw all that crap away.
I figure I'll need a new manifold, carb, distributor, maybe ignition, different fuel pump....what else and is it even possible? Thanks.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:43 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The manifold is easy... there are a couple out there specifically designed to swap in a 4 barrel carb. Check summitracing.com.

You will need a stand along ignition system, like an MSD box, since the ignition is completely controlled by computer.

You will need a new fuel system, since carbs run around 8 psi and MPFI runs around 40 psi.

Then, you'll need to figure out the gauges that are controlled by the computer.

It is very possible, and probably wouldn't be too hard to do. I've looked into it many times.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:45 PM
dakota_pwn

would there be any HP or gas mileage gain with carbed vs fuel injected?

Old 06-02-2010, 09:02 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

On a V-8?...not likely...just a larger hole in your wallet.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:23 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dakota_pwn
would there be any HP or gas mileage gain with carbed vs fuel injected?
If you get a higher flow carb than the factory throttle body, and have it tuned just right, you might see a horsepower increase. It won't be huge though, and would probably be less than getting a bigger throttle body and performance computer tune. There are better ways to spend $800-1000 to increase power. The only good reason to switch to a carb is simplicity.

And fuel milage will definately fall!! The whole reason manufacturers went to fuel injection and have been improving it since the start is to get more and more efficiency. Think about it... when you tune a carbbed engine, it has a specific tune set to it that was set with a particular grade of gas at a certain elevation, temperature, and humidity. That means its going to be at its highest efficiency with that same gas and at that same elevation, temperature, and humidity. I know here in North Carolina, the weather changes every 5 minutes this time of year! A computer uses all the sensors to do real time tuning to keep the air/fuel mixture right despite atmospheric changes.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:37 AM
Baca Jeff
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I the owner of a 99 Dodge Durango 318cin would like to change to a carb. Want to get away from being stuck on the side of the road. EFI on the Durango sucks, I do not care about the horsepower going down. I want dependability!

Last edited by Baca Jeff; 02-05-2015 at 10:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Heinz Edgar Rose (02-22-2020)
Old 02-05-2015, 07:28 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Baca - TBH, it sounds strange to claim you want a carb for reliability.

Let me put it this way - consider how long motors lasted back in the 60's and 70's (where at 100,000 miles most motors were toast), and how long they last now (I'm at 294,000 miles and chugging away ... )

What all's been breaking in the EFI/ignition system on your current truck?

RwP

Bidder53 (03-16-2020)
Old 02-14-2015, 09:05 PM
soar_dude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do you live I live in Washington towards Olympia I know a fair bit about the MPI on the magnum powered dakotas. The problem with switching to a carbed setup is your gas mileage will go to hell you would need to put in a pressure regulator as carbs work on less fuel pressure. I see this acting like a house of cards you change to a carb setup now the ignition system is wonky from not getting the right signals from the fuel system then you change to point ignition system the emissions system goes wonky from not getting signals from anything. Like I said the MPI system is pretty simple component wise. If I can I would like to help.

Dudester

Old 02-15-2015, 07:57 AM
Baca Jeff

Is there any way to change over to TBI from MPI?

Old 02-15-2015, 08:06 AM
Baca Jeff

My Durango quiets after about four minuets and doesn't restart until about four to five minuets. After that it runs and starts fine until I let it set overnight then it dos it all over again.

Heinz Edgar Rose (02-22-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Injection conversion to carburetor