1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fan not working, and I bet i know why.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:52 PM
issakar
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater/AC Fan not working, and I bet i know why.

Hey everyone,

I have another thread going about some noise in the truck but i wanted to show everyone something else i found. This issue I am pretty sure i know how to fix :-D

One thing i found out after buying the truck is the fan does not work what so ever for heat/ac. I did a little reading in the FAQ and found that a common issue that causes that is the resistor block (i forget exact term) for the motor. I decided to check that out and i think MMMAAAAYYYYBBBEEE that is the issue. Attached is a photo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38100777@N02/4706139595/

I am pretty sure that MIGHT be the problem, lol. Looking at it i need to do a little more than just the block tho. the plug itself is clearly damaged on the right hand side.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that w/ everyone.

CHeers!

Last edited by issakar; 06-16-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:31 PM
pashadowops
Veteran

Here's what I did with mine. I also had to replace the connector but you can't see that in the pic. It's in the box.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:46 PM
2mbGrd361

I have the exact same issue and my plug looks EXACTLY like yours, fried in the same spot with the plastic housing melted away. I have replaced the resistor block a couple of times and it fixes it for a while. I even replaced the heater a/c control unit once and fixed it for a short period but then it failed again. The fan works and I have juice to the heater a/c control unit, but the fan switch does not turn anything on. I am thinking I should try and replace the plug itself but not sure if I just splice it in or get a replacement wiring harness to go with it???

Old 06-16-2010, 10:23 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by pashadowops
Here's what I did with mine. I also had to replace the connector but you can't see that in the pic. It's in the box.

I like it man. i think i may do something similar. what did you use to do that?
How hard was it to replace the actual connector itself? i cant imagine it was too difficult.
thx!

Quick Reply: Fan not working, and I bet i know why.