1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

parking brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 07:57 PM
davidrriley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parking brake problems

Hi guys, I hope someone can give me some help with this problem. I have a 96 with a 5.2 and the rear drum is 9" x 2.5"
I went to get it inspected (passed last year) and the parking brake does not hold the truck. Their mechanic said it was worn brake pads so I bought new pads and had the drums turned to clean them up. I put everything back just as it came out but there was no improvement at all in the parking brakes holding power. I tightened the adjuster on the cable up by the transmission but nothing seems to help.
Any ideas? Does anybody have a brake assembly diagram that I could look at to be sure all the parts are in right?
Thanks for any ideas you have.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:15 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

There is a complete diagram in the 95 service manual in the FAQ section at the top of this forum. Chances are good that you need new short cables going to the brake shoes.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:27 PM
will4557
Veteran

You can get a rebuild kit for the rear brakes that comes with new springs, clips, adjuster, and the short cables that are in the drums for a little of nothing at the parts store. I have bought and replaced mine on my truck.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:18 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by will4557
You can get a rebuild kit for the rear brakes that comes with new springs, clips, adjuster, and the short cables that are in the drums for a little of nothing at the parts store. I have bought and replaced mine on my truck.
some of them (like the one i got) don't come with the parking brake springs.

after adjusting the cable did you check it again to see if it stretched? i know mine did that and hung down so low that it dragged on the ground.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Nathyne
Rookie

Is your parking brake really hard to put on? I know mine had seized cables going into the drums that I had to replace before it would work.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Auron
Veteran

mine doesnt work either and it still passed with that and not having a cat or muffler i love little towns

Quick Reply: parking brake problems