1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Consensus on Fuel Pump replacement - drop tank or lift bed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:06 PM
dobaroy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by pensfan
I did it 4x in my first truck and now in this one. I did both drop tank and lift bed. I cheated and used 8in metal hole saw, marked out pump location and drilled hole CAREFULLY, trimmed with snips, made new bigger patch and screwed in like hatch. Took total with changing pump less than 45 mins. Yes I also have removeable bed liner to cover slight bump from hole
Best idea yet to re and re the pump and we just happen to have a removable bed liner.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Sethinphx

I just did this 2 days ago. I dropped the tank and then lifted the bed. DO NOT DROP THE TANK!!! It is such a pita to get that damned thing back up in there. From holding the tank (empty btw) and trying to get those gosh darn tank strap to line up right while trying to keep the heat shield in place was a nighmare. It was so much easier to just lift the bed. You dont have to take the bed off. Just lift it to the side. 8 easy bolts (a little dirt snack but hey, it comes with having a truck) and a few clips (tail lights) and its up. And I even have a camper shell to take off. It was still easier. Plus the tank is bolted securely in place while you hammer the pump ring off. Just my 2 pennies.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:54 PM
gezn2
Amateur

I have indeed BTDT, I dropped the tank from the underneath, ate the better part of a weekend and it was a stone b@#$% getting everything lined back up again.
My vote is for pulling the bed.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:03 AM
redtruck18

Lift the bed. ITS SOOOO EASY. Four bolts down each side, 2 wiring harnesses unplugged, remove the tube for the spare tire carrier, and lift the bed and move it back about 2 feet. Everything is right there on top. Total job took less than an hour.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:46 AM
kahanabob
Captain

Originally Posted by Sethinphx
Plus the tank is bolted securely in place while you hammer the pump ring off. Just my 2 pennies.
Good point, had not thought of that.....

Quick Reply: Consensus on Fuel Pump replacement - drop tank or lift bed?