Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Dakota > 1st Gen Dakota
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


1st Gen Dakota '96 & Older Dakota's

Consensus on Fuel Pump replacement - drop tank or lift bed?

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-23-2010, 03:43 PM
16Victor's Avatar
16Victor 16Victor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Vehicle: BMW
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 3
Default Consensus on Fuel Pump replacement - drop tank or lift bed?

Videos and posts say to lift the bed to replace the fuel pump. Mechanic friend says he'd drop the tank. If you've BTDT, what would you tell me to do?

216,000 miles, not as rusty underneath as I'd have guessed....

Thanks,

Ron
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-23-2010, 04:16 PM
issakar issakar is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Caravan 3.0/98 Ram 2500 4x4 ext cab
Location: Michigan
Posts: 726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Victor View Post
Videos and posts say to lift the bed to replace the fuel pump. Mechanic friend says he'd drop the tank. If you've BTDT, what would you tell me to do?

216,000 miles, not as rusty underneath as I'd have guessed....

Thanks,

Ron
D00d,
BTDT, LIFT THE BED. lol. I by no means am that good when it comes to repairs since I am still learning, and when we worked on the fuel pump we lifted the bed. 8 bolts, 3 screws, an electrical harness connector and it's ready to come off.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-23-2010, 04:48 PM
pashadowops's Avatar
pashadowops pashadowops is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 1995 Dakota
Location: NE PA
Posts: 334
Default

I dunno man, I guess if I had to do it all over again, I would take the amount of gas in the tank into consideration. I had just filled the tank when mine went. What a PITA getting the gas out and into containers. 20 some gallons of gas is more than you would think. If I took that into consideration, I probably would have lifted the bed. On the other hand, if there is very little or no gas in the tank, it's not that bad to remove the tank, do the pump and put it back up. When it comes down to it I guess it's your call. Good luck, I am doing a fuel pump in my kids Saturn tonight. Same thing, a freshly full tank of gas, only this time I bought a power siphon to pump the gas into my truck, then I will drop the tank hehe.
__________________
1995 Dakota Extended Cab 4x4 5.2L Automatic
2003 Jeep Liberty Renegade
2010 Ford Focus SEL
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-23-2010, 07:38 PM
shadowthedakota's Avatar
shadowthedakota shadowthedakota is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Vehicle: 91' dakota v6 4x4
Location: sussex, WI
Posts: 1,876
Krzykidd64
Send a message via AIM to shadowthedakota Send a message via MSN to shadowthedakota Send a message via Skype™ to shadowthedakota
Default

its just easier to lift the bed off and avoid the rusty eyes. unless you have minimal rust and low gas in the tank.
__________________

R.I.P. my brother Andrew O. 12/12/1990-9/26/12
R.I.p. love of my life Sarah G. 4/12/1990-8/3/2012
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-23-2010, 09:55 PM
tmacdakota tmacdakota is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 279
Default

If you have an impact wrench, pneumatic or electric, it's easier to spin the bed bolts off...even if you're alone. Then you scoot the bed back, replace the pump and reverse the procedure. I hate laying on my back fighting rusty, stuck fasteners like those on the tank straps. Just keep the bed fairly square if decide not to lift it off, then you just have to scoot it back in place after you finish the pump.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-24-2010, 01:57 AM
bp4131017 bp4131017 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 92 Dodge Dakota ext. cab, 42RH, V-6, Auto with 3.73
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 39
Default

It's not dropping the tank down that's the bitch... it's dealing with rusty/broken straps and then also trying to get it back in when you magically lost what feels like 2 inches on the straps. I've never lifted the bed, but I F-ing hate dropping them
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-24-2010, 03:18 AM
LO 619's Avatar
LO 619 LO 619 is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Vehicle: 88 Dakota
Location: SoCal
Posts: 509
Default

you should always be wearing safety glasses when working underneath a vehicle, rust shouldn't come into play.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-24-2010, 05:14 AM
Joezilla64 Joezilla64 is offline
Amateur
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 48
Default

Lift the bed. It will make it much easier.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-24-2010, 09:36 AM
16Victor's Avatar
16Victor 16Victor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Vehicle: BMW
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 3
Default

http://home.fuse.net/pieper/2010-07-24%2008.55.46.jpg

Thanks for the replies, lifted the bed, job done in 90 minutes, decided to do rear shocks at the same time, too easy with the bed off.

Thanks again,

Ron

Last edited by 16Victor; 07-24-2010 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: added link
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-24-2010, 01:08 PM
kahanabob kahanabob is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 574
Default

what did you do with the filler tube? does it just remain sticking up in the position it was attched to the filler door?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-24-2010, 03:54 PM
issakar issakar is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Caravan 3.0/98 Ram 2500 4x4 ext cab
Location: Michigan
Posts: 726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Victor View Post
http://home.fuse.net/pieper/2010-07-24%2008.55.46.jpg

Thanks for the replies, lifted the bed, job done in 90 minutes, decided to do rear shocks at the same time, too easy with the bed off.

Thanks again,

Ron
I did the same thing with mine off. TOO easy to do the rear shocks with the bed off :-D

Plus the parts wernt that much.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-24-2010, 03:55 PM
issakar issakar is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Caravan 3.0/98 Ram 2500 4x4 ext cab
Location: Michigan
Posts: 726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahanabob View Post
what did you do with the filler tube? does it just remain sticking up in the position it was attched to the filler door?
The fill neck is attached to the gas tank. It just stays there and hangs out.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-25-2010, 09:51 AM
16Victor's Avatar
16Victor 16Victor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Vehicle: BMW
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 3
Default

Yep, just be careful with lifting and moving the bed around the filler neck.

A few other observations:
- remove the tailgate to make it easier to lift the bed
- put tape over the lower rear corners of the bed to avoid scraping paint if the bed contacts the bumper during removal/installation (one side of our bumper had been tweaked making interference worse).
- brush or vacuum the dirt and crud from the top of the tank to avoid dirt falling into it
- wire brush and oil the bed bolts before reinstalling, and don't tighten any of them down until they're all loosely installed
- On our replacement pump, there was no vent port, we had to remove it from the old pump. Separate the old pump halves, put a broomstick under the vent, and gently but firmly press the pump body down onto the broomstick. The vent will pop out. Remove the gasket, install onto new pump, then push the vent into the gasket. Do this after the new pump is in place, and after you put the screw ring on. It will become clear when you do it.

See item circled in red in this pic: http://home.fuse.net/pieper/2010-07-24%2008.34.21.jpg

- think about a muffler replacement too, while the bed is off. Wish we had the luxury of time to do this.
- I really wanted to attack certain frame and other parts with a wire brush and Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer but ran out of time.

Good Luck,

Ron
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Crazy4x4RT's Avatar
Crazy4x4RT Crazy4x4RT is offline
Offroad Dakota Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 93 Dakota
Location: NM
Posts: 10,828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Victor View Post
Yep, just be careful with lifting and moving the bed around the filler neck.

A few other observations:
- remove the tailgate to make it easier to lift the bed
- put tape over the lower rear corners of the bed to avoid scraping paint if the bed contacts the bumper during removal/installation (one side of our bumper had been tweaked making interference worse).
- brush or vacuum the dirt and crud from the top of the tank to avoid dirt falling into it
- wire brush and oil the bed bolts before reinstalling, and don't tighten any of them down until they're all loosely installed
- On our replacement pump, there was no vent port, we had to remove it from the old pump. Separate the old pump halves, put a broomstick under the vent, and gently but firmly press the pump body down onto the broomstick. The vent will pop out. Remove the gasket, install onto new pump, then push the vent into the gasket. Do this after the new pump is in place, and after you put the screw ring on. It will become clear when you do it.

See item circled in red in this pic: http://home.fuse.net/pieper/2010-07-24%2008.34.21.jpg

- think about a muffler replacement too, while the bed is off. Wish we had the luxury of time to do this.
- I really wanted to attack certain frame and other parts with a wire brush and Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer but ran out of time.

Good Luck,

Ron
Good points!

Here are a few more.
Disconnect the tail light wires.
Unscrew the filler neck screws and gas cap.
Sit the bed on top of something, like saw horses. The fenders can't support it.
Don't tighten the body bolts until you lined up the bed with the body and bumper.
__________________
My Youtube Videos! ----My Photo Albums---Solid Axle Swap ----- Leaf Spring Swap/flip ----2wd-4wd swap

"No truck should ever be lowerd! NEVER" Buy a car if you want it low!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-25-2010, 02:22 PM
kahanabob kahanabob is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 574
Default

Is it obvious which way to turn the ring that keeps the pump in? what do you do hammer and screwdriver like removing a garbage disposal? Need to address my inop gas gauge once and for all. Hope i can clean it due sending units for a 90 are unavailabe.
Good tip on the muffler mine needs one>>..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-25-2010, 03:09 PM
tmacdakota tmacdakota is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 279
Default

Clockwise tightens, counterclockwise loosens...use a wooden dowel on the retainer ring and loosen it with a mallet...hammer and metal screwdriver can break the plastic.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-25-2010, 03:25 PM
black shadow's Avatar
black shadow black shadow is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 07 ram qc sport edition
Location: CHESAPEAKE,VA
Posts: 267
Default

when i did mine i took the bed off and was done in about an hour.
__________________
07 HEMISPORT CAI LED TLS AND 3RD BK LT STAINLESS SILL PLATES, BKUP CAM , LINEOFFIRE, 20% TINT MPR STEPS MPR WHL WLL LNRS LEAR CR WITH SPLR DEBGD PJTR HDLTS BLACK TRUCK CLUB #229 Hemi truck club #47
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-29-2010, 05:45 PM
pensfan pensfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3
Default

I did it 4x in my first truck and now in this one. I did both drop tank and lift bed. I cheated and used 8in metal hole saw, marked out pump location and drilled hole CAREFULLY, trimmed with snips, made new bigger patch and screwed in like hatch. Took total with changing pump less than 45 mins. Yes I also have removeable bed liner to cover slight bump from hole
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-29-2010, 06:17 PM
tmacdakota tmacdakota is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 279
Default

Now that's a smart solution...any chance you can post a pix?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-29-2010, 06:39 PM
black shadow's Avatar
black shadow black shadow is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 07 ram qc sport edition
Location: CHESAPEAKE,VA
Posts: 267
Default

ive seen other people do that but if you are in a northern part of the country it isn't a good idea for rust sake
__________________
07 HEMISPORT CAI LED TLS AND 3RD BK LT STAINLESS SILL PLATES, BKUP CAM , LINEOFFIRE, 20% TINT MPR STEPS MPR WHL WLL LNRS LEAR CR WITH SPLR DEBGD PJTR HDLTS BLACK TRUCK CLUB #229 Hemi truck club #47
Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:39 PM
 
 
 
Reply




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join DodgeForum
Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:18 AM.

Internet Brands, Inc.


Contact Details & Emails