1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Chrysler infinity radio wiring help?

Old 09-26-2010, 07:05 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chrysler infinity radio wiring help?

i was at a swap meet today, rummaging through a stand when i happened upon it. my neighbor gave me a direct splice in(allows for an aftermarket amp to wired to a factory radio). now i'm almost positive that i can wire this up to run my mtx amp and rockford punch sub off this radio but i'm not sure on the wiring and such. my non-infinity chrysler has the 2 connectors(ya know, gray and black) and the infinity i just purchased has 3 connectors(gray, black and and a clear one[maybe infinity speaker power]). i've been googling all night and have yet to find any info on this 3rd connector.

any help is greatly appreciated

i also managed to get a back up camera for $20(retail new is $90) and a 6 lug gm rim for my friends truck(it was hard to find a gm 6 lug, too many 5 lugs and dodge 6 lugs rims).

Old 09-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What is the radio off of? You can go to www.the12volt.com you can get the wiring for any vehicle.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:53 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

the guy said it came out of a caravan, but i'm not sure on the year. and its going into my truck. the only problem i'm having is what the clear connector is for and what wires are what on this direct splice in i have. i have a feeling that the clear connector is the power wires for the speaker amps. i'm still looking though.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:18 AM
LO 619
Captain

if you had the model number and a picture maybe someone could find it. stereo wiring diagrams are usually really easy to find, when I put in my Alpine I had a diagram that had everything on it. if you cant find anything online go to an audio shop and show them what you have and what you want to do and they might give you info. Buy an after market harness from a store and it will come with a sheet that has a diagram that should help, too.

I'm not a stereo master or anything but infinity is a good brand but if it's older you might want to buy something newer for alot of reasons.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:20 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

so whilest i was doing some research on the radio. i found that it is an infinity III and that the clear connector is some antenna thing. and that certain ones have the option to add a separate cd changer. it was made by alpine too. chrysler wired the factory amp from the radio through the factory wiring and ran the speakers(front and back) through the amp. looks like i now need to figure out what wire is what on that direct splice in i have.

btw this is the radio i have.
http://replacementradios.com/images/...te_radio_2.jpg
the only thing i don't like about this radio is the eject button is electric, not spring loaded like my old radio.

i also found that it came in the 87 new yorker, lebaron gts, daytona's, voyagers, and a couple other cars.

i thought that some of this info might be helpful to others. the reason i went these radios is because my alarm is broke and i still want to be able to run an amp in my truck and have the factory look without adding extra wiring and such.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:42 AM
LO 619
Captain

Yes, infinity is the higher-end sister of alpine.

I'm sorry but I took one look at that stereo and laughed. Not trying to sound like a jerk, but you should be able to get a pretty decent used cd receiver for no more than $50. I was just at Walmart and they have decent receivers for $100. I honestly don't see why you would bother yourself with the headache.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:29 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

well i'm broke till next summer because i have to get an apartment. i like the factory look anyway, and the price was right($5). my last radio was $4 and it was a basic radio.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chrysler infinity radio wiring help?