1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'95 46RH - DIY or $1.4k Shop Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 01:01 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I talked with a family member who rebuilds transmissions, he said it is very doable, take your time, and pay attention to detail. The only real special tool that you need is a press.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:29 PM
OzarkMark
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Update: $1400.00 poorer...

Well, I finally gave in to the nagging and took it to the trans shop Monday morning. I got it back Friday evening. They said the OD was actually melted together from slipping and had to be chiseled apart. The guy said he beefed it up with heavier clutches and left out a checkball so it would shift better (or something) as well as putting on an aftermarket trans cooler.

The only thing I did notice was the 2-3 upshift is a little mushy under moderately heavy acceleration with no payload bringing it home.

I am going to call tomorrow and see if there is a break-in time or if something is not adjusted right.

Also I think he might have blown a wheel cylinder tranny braking it, cuz last night while installing helpers(another whole story) I noticed the drivers drum leaking brake fluid. Oh joy.

So I am sorry to say I didn't have the opportunity to DIY.

Quick Reply: '95 46RH - DIY or $1.4k Shop Repair?