1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

no overdrive no check engine light..but stored trouble codes

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:13 AM
bigblackdakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no overdrive no check engine light..but stored trouble codes

I don't have overdrive working on my truck and there is no check engine light illuminated on the dash when im driving. I checked the trouble codes and got 4 of them most notably 15 the VSS code. Is my truck shooting code 15 and not illuminating the light when i drive or is 15 an old code that has since been fixed and my problem is probably elsewhere.

PS I can't really test the cruise control because the buttons are broken on my steering wheel.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:53 AM
bigblackdakota

little update I just unplugged the vss connector and drove still no light comes up.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:18 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The computer uses the VSS to control the OD. I'm sure that is your problem. If wanted reset the codes and see what come back up.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:29 AM
bigblackdakota

replaced the vss with no success, moving on to the wiring

I checked at the pcm socket 4 for ground
socket 7 for 8v and 47 which is the vss signal back to the pcm

At the sensor I have one wire with 4.5V and another with nothing....
the one with 4.5V is supposed to be the signal back to the pcm have no idea why there is voltage there. and my 8V never gets there. ANY IDEAS???

Just to make sure I'm using the 95 service manual on my 93 can you confirm the pinouts from the pm are all the same?

Old 09-18-2010, 10:38 AM
bigblackdakota

If anyone cares 4.5 v was a shorted wire from the 8v supply and the 8v supply was a broken wire leading to the sensor..problem fixed now only if i didnt waste money on the sensor If anyone needs a VSS sensor in Canada let me know I'll sell one of the 2 I have for cheap just pm me.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:13 PM
gggGary

Just tossing out a rear speed sensor replacement worked for me post. 93 318 4wd 46RH. Bought the truck with no overdrive or cruise, saw a new bolt on the speed sensor when I bought it, it was just a new bolt holding together a rusted to junk speed sensor, laugh! $25,00 shipped for a speed sensor from fleabay and she's shifting into overdrive and locking the TCC like new! Whew.... Now to adjust the bands, groan, why does the exhaust cross over have to be so tight to the pan?

Quick Reply: no overdrive no check engine light..but stored trouble codes