1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

STILL Not shifting right! 95 Kota 318 v8

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Mattrfg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STILL Not shifting right! 95 Kota 318 v8

So I have done a grip of custom work on my kota, solid axle swap, custom lift, ford 9 in the rear, dana 44 for the front, disk break conversion, ect

i just had the tranny rebuilt but its still having problems shifing up from second and back into first from second, anyone have any ideas on common components that can effect its shifting, my last idea was my crank positioning sensor got cut and i did a quick fix with some butt connectors just for now would the resistance be the cause?

any ideas would help cause my brain is getting fried!

Thanks everyone!

Mattrfg.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:10 PM
misfitdakota_95
Professional

it sounds like you have either a valve body problem or a governor problem. Find out what exactly was done when you had the tranny rebuilt. I've seen a lot of times when the tranny is rebuilt, they fail to flush the cooler & lines. This can cause junk that is in the cooler/lines to get inside of the transmission and can cause shifting problems or worse case scenario, a burned up transmission. Your crank sensor has no effect on your tranny b/c it's all hydraulic (except for 4th gear and TCC).

Old 11-30-2010, 12:48 AM
Mattrfg

i keep hearing about this govener valve, what the heck is it?

Old 11-30-2010, 10:38 AM
misfitdakota_95
Professional

the governor valve is in the valve body itself. Unless you really know what you're doing, I wouldn't touch it. Reason being is if the valve body is disassembled and you don't have a schematic of it, there are check ***** in the valve body that will fall out and if you don't put them back in their right space, you'll have all kinds of problems.

The governor valve receives hydraulic pressure from the governor and it sends it to the respective shift valves to upshift the transmission. Combined with throttle valve pressure from the throttle valve, the transmission upshifts or downshifts based on the fluid signal it receives acting on both sides of the shift valve (both throttle and governor). The governor valve ultimately causes the transmission to downshift, especially when coming to a stop. If it sticks, the transmission will still upshift, the shift points may be off, but it won't downshift when coming to a stop.

The governor on pre '96 transmissions is in the overdrive unit and rides on the output shaft of the transmission. It uses counterweights that work along with centrifugal force to send the appropriate hydraulic signal to the governor valve. I have rebuilt a few Chrysler transmissions (notably the 46RH that is in your truck) and I've seen during my disassembly the hydraulic tubes going to the governor clogged with clutch material. Sorry for the long wordy explanation, I've been told I am so technical that I am speaking greek so if I have lost you, let me know.

Last edited by misfitdakota_95; 11-30-2010 at 11:22 AM.

Quick Reply: STILL Not shifting right! 95 Kota 318 v8