1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94 Dakota 3.9L Heater Core Replacement

Old 11-30-2010, 11:49 AM
ellison.julian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Dakota 3.9L Heater Core Replacement

Ive got a 1994 Dodge Dakota 3.9L. Tried to flush the Heater Core with my garden hose, as I read on several threads on this forum in order to unclog it, and ended up blowing a hole in the core. Now its leaking like no other, Not gonna pay a shop 600 to fix it, and gonna try and tackle it myself. Any hints/tips? Websites that tell me quicker ways to get at it? I have the AllDATA Service info, but anyone have any other ideas? Let me know. Thanks

Old 11-30-2010, 11:55 AM
misfitdakota_95
Professional

you can replace the heater core without having to remove the dash. You'll need to first have your freon discharged and the heater & a/c unit can be snaked out from underneath the dash on your remove wires. Best way to find out is get a chilton's manual or a Haynes manual that has pictures and you should be able to do it on your own.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Spennyman1
Rookie

Good luck. I replaced one in my 91. They're 4 nuts on the firewall that hold the heater box in. You must remove the glove compartment completely. There are a few screws behind the ashtray. A few vacuum lines to unhook and blower motor plug. Don't forget the to unhook the heater core hoses. Practice up on your cussing.......It also helped me to take out the radio to get the wires out of the way. Mine didn't have A/C. Be careful with the duct work it's tender. Might be forgetting something it's been a while.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:04 PM
ellison.julian
Question

Originally Posted by Spennyman1
Good luck. I replaced one in my 91. They're 4 nuts on the firewall that hold the heater box in. You must remove the glove compartment completely. There are a few screws behind the ashtray. A few vacuum lines to unhook and blower motor plug. Don't forget the to unhook the heater core hoses. Practice up on your cussing.......It also helped me to take out the radio to get the wires out of the way. Mine didn't have A/C. Be careful with the duct work it's tender. Might be forgetting something it's been a while.
Where exactly are the nuts on the firewall? I have the glovebox and lower instrument panel off, and i'm staring right at the heater box. So I just take those nuts out and the whole box just slides out? Seems too easy to me

Old 12-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Spennyman1
Rookie

They look like speaker nuts. There are three on the pass side and one on the driver. I think they are 11mm. They are kind of hidden. If you want I can take a pic of one from my truck for you. I had to wrestle the heater box out of mine. I also took my seat out. Of course I'm 6'1'' and 270 pounds.......Don't forget the hoses to the heater core.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:35 AM
ellison.julian

If you could do that, that would be awesome. Are the nuts in the engine compartment on the firewall? Or on the heater box somewhere?

Old 12-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Spennyman1
Rookie

Sorry I didn't specify. Outside under the hood. Here's you a pic. Hope it helps.
Name:  heatercore.jpg
Views: 5553
Size:  98.3 KB

Old 12-02-2010, 11:03 PM
ellison.julian

Sorry for all the questions...I just dont wanna mess it up. Does the whole box just pull out after those nuts come off?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Spennyman1
Rookie

Yup. Remember to unhook the cable that controls the "hot" or "cold". It's on top of the heater box you can feel it. Unhook the vacuum lines, one goes thru the firewall to the brake booster. Finally unhook the blower connector. Just take your time and tug on it a little than check to see if anything is holding it back and tug some more. Ol and the vent and defrost duct stay in the truck. You'll see what I mean. Good luck.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:27 PM
evintho
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

I did it in my '95 3.9 last month. Make sure to remove your seat! If you have a floor shift, like mine, that needs to come out too. Once the box is loose and everything disconnected, pull the box towards you and twist the top down and the bottom up. Have lots of rags/towels on the floor to soak up the coolant that'll leak out of the heater core. Here's the thread I posted not long ago. Good luck!

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...n-my-95-a.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94 Dakota 3.9L Heater Core Replacement