1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Short?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 10:01 AM
BlackKimera
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short?

I'm thinking that there is a short in a ground. When my turn signals flash my voltage-gauge drops a good mark and the headlights drop it too. Rolling down the windows and turning the heat to max drops it too. The headlights dim when anything else draws from the battery too. Could there be a short in a ground or bad alternator or what? The battery is a 1000 cranking amp and it's a lot bigger than the previous battery so I would think I wouldn't be having this problem.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Rolling down the windows and the turns can show a little voltage drop, that is normal. But if it major drop I would suspect the alternator is not working properly. You can take it to most autoparts stores to have it tested for free.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:34 AM
BlackKimera
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried doing that awhile back, they plugged into a port on the passenger side of the truck, it didn't give out any reading, then they tried a similar plug on the drivers side only to find it didn't transmit any signal either. Whether the truck was on, off, or in axillary.

Quick Reply: Short?