1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Gas Tank Straps

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 02:11 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gas Tank Straps

So, had a gas tank strap rust apart on me.
Trying to remove it, but due to the "T" design on the outboard side of the strap, I can't seem to remove it (how it secures, instead of using a bolt/nut, which the inboard side uses).
There just isn't enough room to rotate the strap enough to disengage the "T" part.

Any pointers?

I'm about at my wits end with this truck, seems like it's always something else. And, that would be fine if this stuff was engineered to be maintenance friendly.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:18 PM
siggie30
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the bed for better access. Alot quicker IMO.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:25 PM
nadd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Previous owner of my truck just tied it up with a tie strap.

Seems to be holding well.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:51 PM
xaenon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgerules86
So, had a gas tank strap rust apart on me.
Trying to remove it, but due to the "T" design on the outboard side of the strap, I can't seem to remove it (how it secures, instead of using a bolt/nut, which the inboard side uses).
There just isn't enough room to rotate the strap enough to disengage the "T" part.

Any pointers?
I think the idea here is to undo BOTH straps, and once the tank is down and out of the way, you can swivel the straps to disengage them. You might find it helpful to undo the rear universal joint of the drive shaft and swing the shaft over to the passenger side of the truck. If the truck is running, just use some nylon wire ties to hold the tank up in there until the tank's a little closer to empty, then this job will be a WHOLE lot easier.

Just a suggestion - since the tank will be out anyway, consider swapping out that fuel pump, even if it hasn't failed. The hardest part of replacing an in-tank pump is the dropping and re-installation of the tank itself, and this might spare you having to drop the tank twice. Don't forget a new fuel pump strainer!

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Straps