1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Headlights won't turn on....

Old 11-12-2011, 10:12 PM
MoparMan1995
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights won't turn on....

Hi everyone,

I have a 1995 Dodge Dakota 4x4 3.9liter V6. Last night on my way home I noticed a smell like wires were burning and since I just replaced the heater resistor pack I thought it might of been that so I turned the heat off. Well today I went to use my headlights and they wouldn't come on though the parking lights do and every other single light in the truck does. Checked all the fuses (both under the steering column and in the fuse box under the hood) all fuses were fine. The heater resistor and all it's wiring looks fine. On my way home tonight at dusk I noticed my headlights only come on when I pull the high/low beam lever towards the steering wheel and keep pressure all the way on it so I had to do so all the way home. Even after I click the lever the headlights still do not stay on (no high or low beams or headlights at all unless I pull the lever and hold it there). I'm thinking it's the lever that is broken but does anyone else have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
MoparMan1995

Old 11-13-2011, 12:19 AM
will4557
Veteran

I would say that your headlight switch in the dash is fried. They are easy to pull out and check. I would be willing to bet that if you take it out and turn it around and look at the back you will see what you were smelling. They are pretty cheap also IIRC.. Hope this helps ya out.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:28 PM
MoparMan1995
Professional

Hi will4557,

I actually saw your post you made in another headlight thread earlier that night (before your comment in this thread) and thought about it and came to the conclusion that it probably was the headlight on/off "switch". Yesterday I ended up picking up a new "switch" for $22 and change, replaced it, and now the headlights work fine. Thanks for your reply though, I appreciate the help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlights won't turn on....