1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

alternator overcharging and bad electrical conection.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:50 PM
suarezlopez33
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator overcharging and bad electrical conection.

hi,im new in the site,i bought a 93 dakota v8 a month ago,already put 1000$ on it,still having issues,main issue,my battery is overcharging i guess is the alternator,i just put a new ECM and checked the wiring for shorts,found one and fixed it,computer had a short too so i replaced it,but still overcharging,it shows around 18v while car is running,PLUS,my alternator doesnt have a wiring harness,instead it has the negative wire conected in one of the terminals where the harness is supossed to be,and the other terminal has a wire that goes to the other terminal on the alternator conected to the positive post of the battery,i guess that the cause of the problem?sorry about my english,help please!!batery might be bad,it reads 13v but it reads 7v when i test betwen negative post and ground,and reads around 2v between positive and ground,thats crazy!!even for an electrician apprentice like me,any idea?

Old 05-03-2013, 05:42 PM
inuchan187
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

battery should be 12-13v measuring from positive to negative posts. use an ammeter to check the current draw of the positive cable with the truck off. that will tell you if you still have shorts anywhere. Use the service manual wiring diagrams and wire up the alternator correctly. The manual is located in the FAQ if you don't have one.

is it showing 18v on a meter or on the gauge in the truck? The gauge in the truck has no use. it is junk. My gauge shows 16-18v with my fan or lights on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: alternator overcharging and bad electrical conection.