1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1993 Dodge Dakota, to buy or not to buy?

Old 05-02-2013, 09:57 PM
elliotturnbull
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Dodge Dakota, to buy or not to buy?

I'm looking at a 1993 dodge dakota with 210,000 kms on it, and the engine was rebuilt at 180,000 kms. Thing is, it was rebuilt in the backyard of the previous owner (who I am assured was a mechanic). This really turns me off. But it was driven a quarter of the way across Canada after the rebuild, which may be a good sign? Its got a new clutch, breaks, and exhuast. Its super clean and in really good condition, except for a few rips in the seats. Asking 3000, but I'd offer 2500 I think. Its a 4x4, 3.9L V6 engine. I'm looking at it as my first vehicle. I'd like some expert advice, so what do you think?

edit: I may have put this in the wrong forum, my bad.

Last edited by elliotturnbull; 05-02-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:58 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

30,000 km (about 19000 mi.) is a bit more than a quarter way across Canada. Time tested engine at this point, I think.

Elliot, you don't tell us how old you are, but I'm assuming that you don't have any experience with fixing stuff. I guess I'd suggest that you get the truck checked out by a mechanic. You want the shop to put it up on a lift and inspect for corrosion (not surface rust but bubbling body cancer.) Have the mechanic evaluate the previous owner's work--did he cut corners? Leave fasteners off? Cut and tape a bunch of wires? Does everything work as it should?

Do some research into fuel consumption, pickups get notoriously crappy fuel economy.

Anything that's not in tip top shape will need to be fixed. If you buy it, you own the responsibility for getting it done.

And if you can't pay cash (need to borrow to buy it) remember that lenders require insurance to cover the amount of the debt, that can add to the cost.

Price isn't anything special, I don't think. But local markets kinda vary.

I'm not claiming to be an expert--it's hard to judge based on the little bit of info you've supplied.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:32 AM
elliotturnbull

Very sound advice.

I'm 24 and have never had enough money to own a car because I've been in school. I want a 4x4 to head out into the bush for camping. And I have been researching trucks for a LONG time and am prepared to accept the fuel consumption. Its a toss up between a dakota or a ford ranger, but its hard to come across nice ones in my area.

Thanks for the advice, Brian.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:31 PM
keilkravec
Veteran

yea go with a dodge over that ranger, they feel like sardine cans comparativly to dakotas.

Overall it sounds pretty decent, but really look it over for body and frame rot, if its from that far north its bound to have some, but whether its worth it or not is dependant on just how much there is

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1993 Dodge Dakota, to buy or not to buy?