1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fixed my transmission linkage and starter

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 06:16 PM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixed my transmission linkage and starter

I posted here, or some other Dakota forum, can't remember (getting old...) a few months ago about my '93 3.9L Dakota only starting in Neutral, and the starter making a clicking sound - just one click - and finally starting after several tries. Somebody suggested it might be ground cable going to starter, or some such thing. Anyway, I finally got time to check it out. I put a rubber thing I had over the shift linkage shaft and tightened it up with a small hose clamp, then loosened and retightened the bolt on the starter - lo and behold, the thing starts on first try now, even in Park!!

I am happy! Now, on to coolant flush, and I want to change the differential oil to synthetic. I don't think it has ever been changed. Mine is 2WD, but I want to change all the fluids. Maybe brake fluid is still good, I put new disks on about 7 years ago - no - it needs changing!! Man, time flies!

I love this old truck!! Best vehicle of any kind I have ever owned!! Wow, if Dodge would just keep making that 1st gen style Dakota, I'd buy a new one!

Old 03-05-2012, 12:02 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I posted on one of the other forums, I'll just post here too.

Cool, easy fix.

Now change ALL oils even if you don't think you have to do it. All filters too.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:43 AM
MacDak
Professional

Hey, Crazy! Me too, both forums... I change the oil often, but brake, coolant, etc. I need to do. Odometer broke at 120,xxx miles, but I change the oil probably too much. It's these other things I need to do.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Being a 93 it has the cable driven speedo. Maybe the cable needs replacing, easy to do and maybe $20 at Napa.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:57 PM
MacDak
Professional

I already tried the cable, but that's not it. I have checked at a local junk yard, and they have a good selection, but alas, not for my '93. Pull-A-Part is 3 hours away...

Quick Reply: Fixed my transmission linkage and starter