1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Failed emissions

Old 06-11-2012, 10:44 PM
D.Fresh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failed emissions

Hi all!

i am a proud owner of a v6 1995 Dak, however, the waterpump expired and it sat for about 4 or 5 months before i fixed it. even though it is fixed my inspection was up, and now i have failed emissions. my report says, under the HC ppm x liters, "limit- 537" "test value-635" FAIL. my CO and NO test were fine, im hoping i dont need a new cat converter, any suggestions?

thanks for your time. i have big plans for this truck and wanna keep it for a long long time

Old 06-12-2012, 01:45 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This site I found quickly on a Google search will help.
http://www.smogtips.com/failed-high-hydrocarbons-HC.cfm

I would say check your fuel pressure/volume first. Next check the O2 sensor and probably replace it.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:26 AM
D.Fresh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
This site I found quickly on a Google search will help.
http://www.smogtips.com/failed-high-hydrocarbons-HC.cfm

I would say check your fuel pressure/volume first. Next check the O2 sensor and probably replace it.
Thanks for your response! i have read over this site before posting actually, i really tried to get as much research as i could, i'm planning on new spark plugs, new distributer, new lines, new O2. and see if i can't clean out my throttle as well as the many other sensors that seem to contribute.

and there seems to be no real way of really narrowing it down. unfortunatly i will have to take the 70 dollar test again without knowing if the money i spent was still not enough, then i would need a new cat converter. i've also picked up a can of seafoam, figured it couldn't hurt...i hope. and my truck is having trouble shifting into 3rd! but i love it to much to let it go

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Failed emissions