Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Dakota > 1st Gen Dakota
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1st Gen Dakota '96 & Older Dakota's

3.9 V6 throttle body to carb

Old 06-15-2012, 03:59 AM
1994 Dodge Dakota

Default 3.9 V6 throttle body to carb

i was wondering if and where i could find a throttle body to carb kit for my dakota, i want a carb on my truck because i'm gonna rebuild the engine or drop a v8 into it when i get the chance, i wanna know aproxx pricing for an intake swap on my truck from a throttle body to a carb, if anyone could help me, it would be greatly appreciated
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 06-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Captain
Garage is empty, add now

there is no such manifold for that engine; they had a 2 barrel on the 87 (1st year) and the distributor used had no timing advance provisions as that function was done by computer. Youd have to do like they do with the V8s and have the heads redrilled to use the pre magnum intake...
Old 06-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Offroad Dakota Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
1993 Dodge Dakota

Vehicle: 93 Dakota

Ya I doubt there is an intake for the V6 Magnum to convert it to a carburetor.

But since you talked about dropping in a V8, there are intakes for the V8 Magnums for carburetors.

Check out http://www.hughesengines.com or www.summitracing.com or http://www.mopar.com/performance/catalog/

The best bang for you buck is to get a 92-95 5.2 V8 or 93-95 5.9 V8. Get the engine complete along with the PCM and all you have to add in is 2 injector wires to the PCM. Much cheaper and easier then dealing with a carb setup. And the stock FI gives more HP and MPG than a carb setup would on a stock to mild engine.

"No truck should ever be lowerd! NEVER" Buy a car if you want it low!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Amateur
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1991 Dakota

Yup, nobody has a drop in kit for this.
It certainly can work but you're looking at modifying an '87 through '91 manifold to fit your heads, very involved attention to detail if you want it to work...
I've done the conversion on my '91, but I had a TBI manifold to start with so all I really needed was to drill and tap four holes to bolt everything up. Safely plumbing in a fuel pressure regulator and safety switch took more time and planning, ignition is very straightforward with a late-'70s 318 vacuum advance distributor with a slant six reluctor driving a four-pin HEI module.
You need to be prepared to invent stuff on the fly and read between the lines in obscure forum postings to make this work, I did a lot of googling before diving in and there is very little hard info out there on doing this...
Old 06-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Veteran
1992 Dodge Dakota

Vehicle: 1992 Dakota 5.2 Auto

It would seem to me at this time the only way to go is to swap to the V8 and if I remember correctly the intake is about $300. but just like Crazy says the FI system is a better way to go. Good luck with it.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:21 PM