1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

How to: Dakota Gen 1 4x4 Lower Control Arm Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:24 AM
Ryokurob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was a lot of help. Thanks. Like one guy said yeah it's an old post but I'm greatfull for all of your guys experiance.

On a side not my friend works at energy suspension. When he told me there was no kit I was floored. I ordered a set of all four control arms for the 4x4 to measure and replace on thee arms before replacing them on the truck. I'm hoping to get a kit made up and then they can put it on their site.

I too am in the process of rebuilding the whole front end due to well, just time. Was also looking into doing a suspension lift at the same time. But it seems like most options now are out. I'll keep searching and make a thread with what I find. Might make a small run of parts for these trucks if the interest is there. I also do some fab work.

Sorry for bableing on. Lol. First post jitters. Lol

Old 11-25-2015, 12:03 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ryokurob, just wondering if you ever got around to trying this?

Old 11-26-2015, 02:11 PM
RobertMc
Professional

Just a heads up. I haven't abandoned the forums or my truck rebuild. I've spent the last year fixing up a 22ft sailboat and a HD diesel to tow it, but hope to get back to working on the Dakota sometime in December.

A kit would be great Ryokurob !

Not sure there would be enough demand anymore to justify the cost of making a kit but it would be great though.
Then again, the existing kit I used is so close to what is needed, that it may not cost much at all to produce some.
My DIY method is easily doable but It would be so much less hassle to buy a kit that needs no modification.

Last edited by RobertMc; 11-26-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:32 PM
ragged89
All Star

Hey RobertMc, lookin' forward to seein' updates on your truck!

The following users liked this post:
RobertMc (02-14-2020)
Old 11-30-2015, 10:31 PM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, my '93 is still going so strong and good, I kind of been busy with other stuff. But today I had to fix windshield wipers again! Bushings keep coming off, so I had to drill a tiny hole and insert a pin in one arm. Anyway, also put new spark plugs in, and replaced brake fluid. So, all this made me want to get back on here. I also want to put new bushings on front end. Thanks for keeping this thread going!

Old 12-04-2015, 11:56 AM
RobertMc
Professional

Originally Posted by ragged89
Hey RobertMc, lookin' forward to seein' updates on your truck!
You and me both !

The poor thing has been sitting in the garage, unfinished, for too long.
I need room to get the engine crane in the garage, so I'm hoping to do some paint touch up on the back of the cab and put the box back on the frame to get it out of the way. It all depends on the weather.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:34 PM
ragged89
All Star

I need room to get the engine crane in the garage, so I'm hoping to do some paint touch up on the back of the cab and put the box back on the frame to get it out of the way. It all depends on the weather.
I know that story all too well; always re-shuffling stuff so I have room to do the next thing. And oh yeah, can't do it when rain or extreme weather is coming because it requires moving things outside, things that shouldn't get wet.

And there's the issue of finding a break from all my other chores, and then, do I really have the energy to start this today...

Old 01-28-2020, 05:41 AM
Wolfen1086
Professional
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice write up if I can get bushings from energy suspensions to fit my Trailmaster UCA's and they are too long that write up is what I'll use , thanks

The following users liked this post:
RobertMc (02-17-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 03:53 PM
FonzieGo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear or Front on Lower control arm

When you did this for him did you replace the rear on the lower control arm or both ?

Old 02-14-2020, 11:11 AM
RobertMc
Professional

5.3139G
Originally Posted by FonzieGo
When you did this for him did you replace the rear on the lower control arm or both ?
Both. The other one in the energy susp kit was plug and play.

Last edited by RobertMc; 02-14-2020 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply: How to: Dakota Gen 1 4x4 Lower Control Arm Bushings