1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Ball joint just slides out of control!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 07:27 PM
docgeorge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball joint just slides out of control!!

**Ball Joint just slides out of control arm!!

So I have two problems.

My suspension was shot and I am working through replacing everything as this truck was not very well taken care of before I bought it.

I pressed out the upper ball joints and had a mechanic press in the upper bushings. Sadly they had to reuse the original shroud.

Now that it is time to put them back on a 1st set of ball joints from summitracing.com just slid in. They slide back out and I can twist them.

I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem and what possible solutions are out there.

My 2nd problem is the lower suspension bumpers (bumper jounce part #04322534) are falling apart on the driver side and gone on the passenger side. Does anybody know where to pick up the bumper jounce at a price that isnt $50 shipped?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by docgeorge; 02-09-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:33 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The upper ball joints are not a press in. They thread in. The bottoms press in. If you pressed out the top ball joints you probably destroyed the threads. Your only option now is a junkyard replacement control arm or fit in the new ball joint the best you can then weld it to the control arm.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:05 AM
Volkster13
Professional

What he said^^ the same thing happened to my new upper ball joints so I took it to get them welded.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:53 AM
docgeorge
Default $hit!!

I had no idea the uppers were thread in! I already had the bushings pressed in how much do you think it would cost to weld in a pair of ball joints?

At this point it is either buy a new set of control arms from a junk yard and have a new set of bushings pressed in and thread out/in new ball joints or find somebody to weld them im....

thank you crazy.

Quick Reply: Ball joint just slides out of control!!