1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Steering gearbox alignment

Old 04-26-2013, 03:33 PM
nemesis158
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering gearbox alignment

Went around a corner too fast on a dirt road yesterday and lost control of the truck and ended up in the ditch, Everything is still working but my steering wheel is about 15deg off center to the right for straight driving now.

Im not sure what caused this but due to the fact that nothing appears to be wrong with any of the suspension or steering parts i am inclined to believe that my steering gearbox skipped a gear out of place.

Rather than try and open up the gearbox to look at it i decided it would be better for me to disconnect the steering linkages from the gearbox and re-center the output arm on the gearbox.

I would have already been done if not for the fact that i cannot get the main steering linkage loose from the arms that hold it to the gearbox and the frame. i have unbolted both of these points but the arm refuses to drop from them. So i was just wondering if anyone here had any experience taking their steering links apart and how they went about getting them removed and replaced.

Thanks.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My guess something bent. Take it to an alignment shop to get it visually checked and if possible straightened out with an alignment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering gearbox alignment