1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

towing capasity?

Old 06-25-2013, 05:58 PM
dodger8691
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing capasity?

I have a 1996 slt v8 auto overdrive tranny 4x4 I believe it was the factory tow package. I am looking into getting a camper to take my family camping but I don't know what to look for weight wise. I need a decent size one I need to sleep atleast 4 but would like 6 sleeper I am also looking into getting electric brakes installed for the camper so that ould help too right?

and help and iput would be a help thank you in advance

Old 06-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

I have a 96 with all that stuff like yours. And I know I have the factory installed tow package. You can probably tell by looking at the frame mounted hitch. On mine there was a metal box welded on the bottom of the crossbar, the box contained the factory installed trailer wiring plug. I moved mine to the left license plate lite hole--the box hanging under the hitch hand been damaged.

Trying to understand what you mean by a camper. Out here in flyover country, a camper is one of those things that is installed in the pickup bed and extends over the cab roof. You open the door on the back of the camper and climb up and in. I don't know if there are even campers made for 96 dakotas.

I think you mean a travel trailer of some sort. There are several types available, you could get a tent trailer which is much more like traditional tent camping. You could pull a small 5th wheel trailer--the hitch is mounted over the rear wheels in the pickup bed. Or you could get a trailer that connects to the receiver hitch down below the bumper. All things, among the larger trailers, being equal I'd be looking for a 5th wheel trailer. A much better towing experience--a lot more stable. But if a hitch mounted trailer is your thing, be prepared to buy a sway control hitch & an electronic brake controller. Hydraulically actuated controllers are no-no's on rigs with ABS.

If your truck is like mine and has the 3.55 axle rating, your combined weight rating (truck, trailer, people, & fluids) can't exceed 9200 lb. According to the owner's manual. Not exactly a whole lot of capacity. If you have the 3.90 ratio, it's more like 10500 lb.

When you're towing, turn off the overdrive. If you're gonna tow, make sure the cooling system and the rest of the engine bay are in tip top shape. Breakdowns on family trip are not fun. Tires need to be free of any problems especially sun checking in the sidewalls and between treads.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:26 PM
dodger8691
Professional

thanks a lot of useful info and yea I ment a travel trailer and to be honest I didn't even know they made 5thwheels for these trucks but I don't need anything that big and im on a budget so it looking like I am sticking with the hitch mount now how do I tell if I have the 3.55 or the 3.90 axle?

Old 06-25-2013, 10:32 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Here is the towing chart, you will need your axle ratio. It is in the FAQ.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ing-chart.html

Old 06-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

On my truck (also a 96) the axle ratio is shown on a sticker under the hood--near the front/center edge I think.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:07 PM
dodger8691
Professional

ok cool ill look for the sticker tomorrow. but I know I have an O.D. tranny but how do I tell if its the H.D. O.D.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:39 AM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it helps, my '93 3.9 extended cab 2WD is rated to tow 5,200 lbs, and I have towed my 25' 3,200 lb empty weight trailer (loaded, about 4,600 lbs) all over the country, nary a problem. From mountains to flat Florida. But - USE a weight distribution hitch, and trailer brakes! Anti sway bar on trailer tongue is good too. You'll find going isn't the issue, it's stopping! Be safe.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:38 AM
mopar_guy
Amateur

A few years ago, I was doing a bit of towing with my '89 Dakota. My setup was as follows.

1989 Dakota (short wheelbase, about 4200 lbs with full fuel tank and driver).
16 foot Spectere car hauler trailer (about 1900 lbs empty).
Load equalizing receiver hitch.
Draw Tite trailer brake controller.
The wife's 1962 Imperial loaded on the car hauler (about 5000 lbs).

This was over 10,000 lbs GVW and was in excess of the recommended GVW weight for the vehicle. I wouldn't recommend towing this much weight unless you really know what you are doing.

Last edited by mopar_guy; 07-04-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: towing capasity?