1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Truck shakes and it is not dependant on Speed or RPM

Old 07-03-2013, 10:35 AM
adamwmc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck shakes and it is not dependant on Speed or RPM

My 96 2WD Sport will intermittently shake pretty bad. Speed doesn't seem to affect it, and it will come and go all during a single trip at varying speeds and RPMS. I may also be loosing power when the worse of the shaking happens (Of course i may not be giving it much gas because the truck feels like it's going to fall apart). I recently had all the spark plugs and wires along with the distributor cap changed and it did not help the problem.

Could warped brakes/ rotors cause this? I notice when I hit the brakes hard (when it is not shaking) I feel a pulse similar to the resonance of the shake when it does occur.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:30 PM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just guessing here, u-joints? Motor mounts, drive shaft? Seems like a drive line issue to me, but, hey, what do I know?

Old 07-04-2013, 10:07 AM
mopar_guy
Amateur

Motor mounts, transmission mount, U-joints, driveline damaged/ out of balance, front wheel bearings, crankshaft vibration damper, brakes.

Dave

Old 07-05-2013, 10:42 AM
adamwmc

Originally Posted by mopar_guy
Motor mounts, transmission mount, U-joints, driveline damaged/ out of balance, front wheel bearings, crankshaft vibration damper, brakes.

Dave
Thanks for the list of things to check. I guess I'll start going through these things one by one...starting with the brakes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck shakes and it is not dependant on Speed or RPM